none
sharepoint 2010 dbo.AllDocStreams big RRS feed

• Question

• I have a sharepoint 2010 farm and 100 mysites.

When I do stsadm -o enumsites and get a list of all mysites the total size of all site collections is around 30GB (actual)

The used space in the database on the SQL server is in the dbo.AllDocStreams table.

I can I reduce the space in this table?

This is a problem also in another table in another content database.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:56 PM

Answers

• Your options to shrink the table would be to either delete some files, or use Remote BLOB Storage (RBS).  There are only a few specific reasons you would want to use RBS - so unless you're sure that's the route you want to take, don't rush into it.

Roger Cormier

Microsoft
    Premier Field Engineer, SharePoint

Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rcormier/
    Twitter: LinkedIn:

Note: My posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

• Marked as answer by GuYuming Friday, September 28, 2012 7:55 AM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9:29 PM

All replies

• What seems to be the problem?  Are you seeing a lot of whitespace? or are you  just concerned that this table is large?

The AllDocStreams table actually stores the binary data for all documents for all site collections that live in that database.  This also includes previous document versions as well.  Unless all of the content in your site collections is made up of just list items, I would expect this to be one of the biggest tables in your content database.

Roger Cormier

Microsoft

Note: My posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 1:02 PM
  • Hello,

If you are trying to play with the Sharepoint Databases then there may be some chance to destroy some functionality in sharepoint so rather then to play sharepoint database use some another option.

Hiren Patel | Please click "Propose As Answer" if this post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if this post has been useful to you.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 1:06 PM
  • I noticed this table is so large, so I thought is there a way of shrinking it. We are not talking about empty space.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 1:35 PM
  • Your options to shrink the table would be to either delete some files, or use Remote BLOB Storage (RBS).  There are only a few specific reasons you would want to use RBS - so unless you're sure that's the route you want to take, don't rush into it.

Roger Cormier

Microsoft

• Marked as answer by GuYuming Friday, September 28, 2012 7:55 AM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9:29 PM
  • There is a memory leak with the AllDocStreams table in SP2010 SP1 before the August 2012 Cumulative update.  Even if you delete the items and files, it keeps the BLOB data in this table. I was wondering why my database kept getting larger even though I was deleting multiple versions of items.

Apply the August 2012 cumulative update for foundation and Server if applicable.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/ff800847.aspx

Thanks

Friday, December 21, 2012 9:21 PM
  • Is there a way to tell if this memory leak is the cause of a huge AllDocStreams table ? If we Apply the August 2012 cumulative update will it reclaim the space, or only fix future items ?
    Thursday, August 7, 2014 4:48 AM
  • No, it will not reclaim the space. It works for future deletions only.
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 8:03 PM