none
Windows iscsi boot issue on second interface RRS feed

• Question

• I am able to boot windows on first interface, with iSCSI. If I try to boot from second interface using iSCSI, the booting happens fine, but the boot procedure stucks with "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" message. I have disabled "NDIS LWF driver" on both the interfaces, though 2nd interface never gets me past that error message.

I have followed all the steps as per:

support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/976042/windows-may-fail-to-boot-from-an-iscsi-drive-if-networking-hardware-is
    mistyrebootfiles.altervista.org/documents/TinyPXEServer/files/wfplwf.htm

This is related to windows settings in iSCSI boot. if anyone else has been able to get iSCSI boot over ipxe in windows with 2nd interface? if yes, any pointers much appreciated.
    Thursday, November 7, 2019 9:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting in forum!

You can recover a non-bootable system with the following steps.

1.Boot from the Windows installation media.

2.At the first screen select ‘Next’.

3.At the next screen select ‘Repair your computer’.

4.At the ‘System Recovery Options’ screen, ensure the correct operating system is highlighted and select ‘Next’.

5.At the ‘Choose a recovery tool’ screen, select ‘Command Prompt’.

6.At the command prompt, type ‘regedit’ and press enter.

7.From the registry editor, highlight HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then from the ‘File’ menu select ‘Load Hive’.

8.From the ‘Load Hive’ dialog, browse to the following directory on the drive where Windows is installed: %windir%\system32\config

9.Select the file named SYSTEM and click ‘Open’.

10.Provide a key name of your choice (e.g. temp).

11.Navigate to the following registry location in the hive that was loaded in step 10.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\<name from step 10>\ControlSet001\Control\ Network\{4d36e974-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\{B70D6460-3635-4D42-B866-B8AB1A24454C}\Ndi

12.Double click the FilterRunType value in the right hand pane, and change the value to 2.

13.Highlight the registry hive loaded in step 10, and then from the ‘File’ menu select ‘Unload Hive’.

14.Close registry editor and restart the machine.

Once Windows is booted, open the registry editor again and change the FilterRunType value, from step 11 above, back to a value of 1. Before rebooting, ensure that the NDIS LWF is unbound from all iSCSI booted adapters.

Hope this can help you. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Lily Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 8, 2019 8:18 AM
  • Hi Lily Yang,

Thanks for the reply. Apologies that I didn't explain the issue in hand properly. My testing steps were as follows:

1. Installed Windows 16 on a VMware VM. The VM was installed on a local SCSI disk, not iSCSI disk. The VM two NICs attached (nic0 and nic1) at the time of installation, but those NICs were not used for iSCSI, as mentioned above, as the disk is locally attached.

2. Remove all NDIS LWF filters from both the NICs, using nvspbind (https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Hyper-V-Network-VSP-Bind-cf937850) for the same. Note, Windows is still booted from local SCSI disk, not iSCSI. Enable iSCSI client stack on windows, but it is not used for this boot.

2. Shutdown Windows VM and copy the data on Windows VM to an iSCSI LUN.

3. Remove the local SCSI disk from VM, Windows is still powered off.

4. Boot Windows VM using iPXE (https://ipxe.org/) sanboot (https://ipxe.org/cmd/sanboot).

5. If I sanboot using nic0 with iSCSI, Windows boots fine. nic0 is "Ethernet0" in Windows.

6. But instead of step #5, if I sanboot using nic1 with iSCSI where nic1 is "Ethernet1" in Windows, Windows boots from iSCSI, but later in point gets stuck at a blue screen with error "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE". I can see iSCSI traffic on boot so there is no problem in iSCSI stack, but seems to me some configuration settings (registry) in Windows which is not allowing me to progress after some point in boot sequence.  

I would like to see if step #6 above can be successful as nic1 is my 10G network on which I am going to keep iSCSI server in the future.

The obvious question from your side will be why I don't directly install on iSCSI disks instead of installing on local disks and copying later, but the method for my deployment is always fixed which is install on local disks first and copy to ISCSI lun later.

My question is if it boots from nic0, why it is not booting from nic1. I have disabled all the NDIS LWF filters from all the NICs before moving to iSCSI boot. Any pointers or help is appreciated. 

Friday, November 8, 2019 9:18 AM
  • Hi Lily Yang, let me try the registry settings you mentioned first. I will reply back.
    Friday, November 8, 2019 9:39 AM
  • Hi,

The value was not present in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\ Network\{4d36e974-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\{B70D6460-3635-4D42-B866-B8AB1A24454C}\Ndi. I manually added the value named "FilterRunType" DWORD (32-bit) with data as 2. This was added when the OS was booted from local disk. Then I took VM reboot. To test if it is reflecting with new NIC, I added new NIC, still I can see all the filters enabled for that NIC. Please find the image, (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P_hFVcGu_xHPoTbZxkIGzz1V-Mbk4zEJ/view?usp=sharing), which shows Ethernet2 as newly added NIC but still having ms_wfplwf_upper key in enabled state. My windows VM is Win2k16 server.

I also tried booting from second NIC with iSCSI, but boot still fails with "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" error. Please find the explanation above for the test.

Friday, November 8, 2019 2:59 PM
  • Hi,

For more information, please refer to: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/bug-check-0x7b--inaccessible-boot-device

https://windowscape.org/fix-inaccessible_boot_device-error/     

https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-inaccessible-boot-device-on-windows-10.html                     

Hope this can help you. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Lily Yang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 8:14 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. 

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Lily

Friday, November 15, 2019 2:01 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? 

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Lily

Monday, November 18, 2019 1:42 AM
  • Hi,

No, the issue isn't resolved yet. As mentioned in my previous reply, I need solution for the specific case. I did not find any solution in the links you sent.

Thanks,

Rajesh

Monday, November 18, 2019 9:32 AM
  • Hi,

I'm at a loss as to why you can't boot on second interface.  Maybe someone else will jump in with some ideas.  Or you can open a support case with Microsoft to help you work through it.

Best Regards,
    Lily Yang

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 1:45 AM