none
Microsoft Office update KB2760758 breaks multiline text properties field in custom content type

Question

• Last week SharePoint users have reported issue with multi-line field used in custom content type used in SharePoint 2010 document libraries.

Users were not be able to save documents on the server (in a document library) as 'word' would prompt them with a "Required properties" error message stating: ".. correct the invalid or missing required properties"

After some research I found out that removing the following update KB2760758 would fix the problem.

Obviously this is not an acceptable solution and I would like to know if this issue has been reported and a fix would be issued sooner than later.

• Edited by J-Drive Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:09 AM spelling
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:08 AM

Answers

• I got an answer already!  So it is a known issue and the update for this particular bug will be released in the Office 2010 December updates.

It has to do with a bug in MSO.DLL (which we knew already) with versions of the DLL greater than 14.0.710x.xxxx.  You may want to inspect further updates prior to December to validate that they do not contain an updated version of this DLL.  This includes security and non-security updates that may be released between now and then.  Every KB has a listing of the DLLs it replaces, so be diligent about checking each update's KB for this particular DLL.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 6:39 PM

All replies

• This is a client patch, so what version of Office are they running?  2010 SP2, 2010 SP2, or 2013, and 32bit or 64bit?

Trevor Seward, MCC

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:13 AM
  • Thanks for the quick reply

Most user run: Office 2010 SP1 32 bits.

Some run Office 2013 32 bits.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:17 AM
  • Great, have you been able to validate which KB affects Office 2013?  I'm updating my 2010 installation and will give it a shot in a little while.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:50 AM
  • Unfortunately, my handful of 2013 user have different issue unrelated to the one I reported.

The one user that has a 'clean' 2013 install doesn't have any issue with multiline field and does not have KB2760758 installed.

My Sys admin is looking to create a rollback task using SCCM to prevent the problem.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:38 AM
  • So I confirmed the bug, but it isn't specifically with that update (I still have the same version of mso.dll after uninstallation of that KB) and it may also be present in 2010 SP2.  Still checking on it.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:39 AM
  • You are onto something Trevor ... Thanks for helping!

We've been doing further testing and it's a little strange.

PC01: SP2 installed, KB2760758 installed

-> We removed KB2760758 using add/remove program

-> Issue get fixed

PC02 SP1 installed, KB2760758 installed

-> We removed KB2760758 using add/remove program

-> Issue fixed

-> We installed SP2 (automatic update KB2687455 - 32bit )

-> Issue happens again!

• Edited by J-Drive Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:52 AM added sp2 kb
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:51 AM
  • I actually think it was an issue in my installation.  I manually copied in the SP2 binary (14.0.7015.1000) and have no issues using it.  If I copy in the binary from the Sept 2013 update, KB2760758, or 14.0.7106.5001, I can replicate the error again.  The error also only appears when actually inputting multiple lines.  If you have a single line of text in a multi-line column, the error does not appear and you can successfully save the document.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:12 AM
  • I can also confirm that KB2760758 need to be removed only if or after SP2 has been installed.

Installing SP2 after removing KB2760758 will create the issue again!

Unfortunatly, modifying all multi-line text to a single line is not an option for us as we use Sharepoint as a Document management center and have a couple of thousand documents that would need to be edited!

Microsoft need to come up with a fix for that issue.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 4:19 AM
  • In order to get a resolution to this particular issue, you would need to open a PSS case to log the bug.  If they can identify it as a bug (pretty easy to replicate), then they would refund the case to you.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 4:23 AM
  • Is there any other way/place, I can report the bug so it get investigated & acknowledged?

Thanks

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 4:42 AM
  • Another thing ..

I'm trying to remove the update using the wusa /uninstall command but it saying that the update is not installed ... I can clearly see the update in the 'installed update' control panel!

Thursday, September 19, 2013 12:29 AM
  • That would be more of an Office client (or IT Pro) support question as to why the update won't uninstall.  I can file a bug on your behalf, but keep in mind the turn around time for this is generally slow.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Thursday, September 19, 2013 1:23 AM
  • It would be greatly appreciated Trevor.

For now we have blocked the KB package from WSUS, and manually uninstall on selected users. Obviously we would like to deploy a batch file via SCCM for all users until a further update is issued.

If you log a bug, can I follow the resolution somewhere?

Thanks again for your help Trevor.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 1:31 AM
  • I got an answer already!  So it is a known issue and the update for this particular bug will be released in the Office 2010 December updates.

It has to do with a bug in MSO.DLL (which we knew already) with versions of the DLL greater than 14.0.710x.xxxx.  You may want to inspect further updates prior to December to validate that they do not contain an updated version of this DLL.  This includes security and non-security updates that may be released between now and then.  Every KB has a listing of the DLLs it replaces, so be diligent about checking each update's KB for this particular DLL.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Thursday, September 19, 2013 6:39 PM
  • Thanks I have just noticed this issue today. I also uninstalled KB2760758, but it didn't change the MSO.DLL. For me, I just restored a previous version of the DLL from a system restore point, and that fixed the issue, but not sure if that was really a good idea...

Anyway, Is there anything we can do to speed up the release of a bug fix for this 'patch'? As December is a long time to wait...

Thanks

Dave

Monday, September 23, 2013 12:47 AM
  • Typically not as there is a workaround.  Remember, this isn't part of a security patch, but rather just a normal monthly update.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Monday, September 23, 2013 1:20 AM
  • This is also caused now by KB2826026. Thanks MS, cleanup after KB2760758 was a mess enough, now we have to do it all over again...

Thursday, October 17, 2013 5:44 PM
  • This was supposed to be fixed in the December Office updates, but I don't see an update in this release that affects MSO.dll. Any idea which update fixes the issue?
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:55 PM
  • No still no update fix on this which is poor form, causing a major issue on my client

Monday, January 6, 2014 10:26 AM
  • Has there been any word if the the December update or the January update has a fix? I don't see anything about the Multiline issue anywhere in the kb articles.
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 7:29 PM
  • There are some hotfixes, yes:

http://thesharepointfarm.com/2013/09/office-2010-update-kb2760758-incorrectly-checks-multi-line-columns/

Trevor Seward

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 10:49 PM