none
Move WSS 3 to new server

Question

•  

Hi all,

I really need some help here. I have googled all i can and i still haven't even come close to getting this working.

I have WSS 3.0 installed on a single server using the built in windows database services. I need to move this WSS to a new server.

How can I go about doing this?

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 11:36 AM

All replies

• I've been in this situation so maybe I can help you out.  I'm running a 2 server farm: a sharepoint application server and an external SQL server.  However I don't think the process is going to be different for you.

You should first do a catastrophic backup of your database.  This will backup the configuration, content, and search databases.

In order to do this you need to make a shared directory somewhere.  So make a directory on the C: called "spbackup" and share it.  For simplicity just give 'everyone' full rights to it.  So say your machine name is MachineA, the UNC path to it is "\\MachineA\spbackup".

Open a command prompt and go to where stsadm.exe is located.

Code Snippet

stsadm.exe -o backup -directory \\MachineA\spbackup -backupmethod full

This will back everything up to \\MachineA\spbackup.

Now on your new server (call it MachineB) install and update SharePoint to the same version and SP pack as MachineA.

I think you need to make a new web application on the new server as well before you proceed.

Find the GUID of the backup you want to restore.

Code Snippet
    stsadm.exe -o backuphistory -directory \\MachineA\spbackup

Then
    use this GUID to restore the databases to a new database server. Since
    you are restoring to a local database server, just make sure the
    location you specify is local. I could be wrong here since the only
    restore I've done with this process has been on a 2 server farm.

Code Snippet
    stsadm.exe -o restore -directory \\MachineA\spbackup -backupid <GUID> -restoremethod new -newdatabaseserver <db server name>

It
    will ask you a series of questions. Just answer them all and hopefully
    it will say 0 errors. Restore should then be complete. Remember that
    the configuration database will not be restored since you had to make a
    new one when you installed SharePoint on MachineB. So any configuration
    (smtp, etc) changes you had on MachineA's installation has to be redone.

I hope this at least helps.

Alternatively
    you could backup and restore just a site collection. I have used this
    method to migrate from a single server setup like yours to a two server
    setup like mine, however I do not recall if any configuration
    content-wise was lost (permissions and so forth). You can use
    stsadm.exe for that as well, just use -filename instead of -directory,
    it will also ask you for a -url of the site collection I believe.
    • Unmarked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, May 20, 2009 3:28 AM
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 6:47 PM
  • thanks for the reply and info mate...

how ever it didn't work, i had the same problems as before, it came up with the errors about exisitng websites and sql databases... even though i tried using random names

but ur tip to backup and restore the site collection worked great!!!

cheers for that

Thursday, June 26, 2008 3:03 AM
  • thanks for the reply and info mate...

how ever it didn't work, i had the same problems as before, it came up with the errors about exisitng websites and sql databases... even though i tried using random names

but ur tip to backup and restore the site collection worked great!!!

cheers for that

I'm not sure I understand. Did the move to the new server work or not using the original instructions?

We need to move a WSS 3.0 server that's currently running by itself to a new server that has two other IIS sites (WSUS and Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager).

What else would we need to do to make it work on the new server while sharing IIS with other sites for the first time? 
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 10:28 PM
  • From what I've read in the past, MS doesn't recommend using Sharepoint on a server that has other non-Sharepoint IIS sites.  We tried this a while back and had issues with our pre-existing sites that used advanced functionality integrated with .NET 2.0.

For the server move, and without going into the technical details, you could do the following using these high-level procedures:

1.  Backup each web application or site collection within the web app on Server 1 using STSADM.
    2.  Installed WSS 3.0 on the new Server 2 and configure the enironment appropriately (accounts, servers in farms, and services).
    3.  Create new web apps on Server 2 that are identical to the ones on Server 1 (you can make any adjustements to host headers, DB location, or service accounts at this time).
    4.  Restore Web App(s) or Site Collections(s) form Step 1 to their respective Web Apps created in Step 3 using STSADM.

I had to do this to offload a bunch of Web Apps from our initial MOSS2007 and WSS3 testing environments to a more robust develoment environment.  This also allowed our Production and Development environments to match very closely.  I wrote some STSADM batch files that made it easy to backup and restore the Site Collections when necessary.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 4:32 PM