none
Adding back deleted User Profile Property

Question

• I've made a bit of an error. My SharePoint User Synchroniztion was all setup and working with My Sites and My Profile but the address was being duplicated. I removed one of the user profile properties under the contact collection. Now SharePoint can't render the My Profile pages. With logging turned up I get the following:

Unhandled exception caught during execution of Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.PageBase::ErrorHandler()

Watson bucket parameters: SharePoint Server 2010, ULSException14, 06d8f9f3 "sharepoint portal server", 0e00129b "14.0.4763.0", b2be5063 "microsoft.office.server.userprofiles", 0e001294 "14.0.4756.0", 4b9b2905 "sat mar 13 05:56:21 2010", 0000082d "0000082d", 00000049 "00000049", 10bc7a81 "propertynotdefinedexception", 37706d61 "7pma"

Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.PropertyNotDefinedException: Property Not Defined: SPS-Location.  An administrator must create this property in the Profile Administration tool.    at

Problem is if I try to recreate a User Property with the name SPS-Location it won't let me so how do I get this back?

Paul

Monday, June 21, 2010 11:53 AM

Answers

• Had the same problem and could only resolve it by restoring the profile DB using a backup from before the time the SPS-Location property was deleted.
    • Marked as answer by Lily Wu Wednesday, June 30, 2010 7:11 AM
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 10:47 AM

All replies

• Had the same problem and could only resolve it by restoring the profile DB using a backup from before the time the SPS-Location property was deleted.
    • Marked as answer by Lily Wu Wednesday, June 30, 2010 7:11 AM
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 10:47 AM
  • As far as I can see this will only cause trouble on one page, namely the default profile page: person.aspx. 

You can open the page in the SharePoint designer and find something like this: <SPSWC:ProfilePropertyValue PropertyName="SPS-Location" runat="server"/>.

If you delete this your profile page should work again. This goes for all out of the box profile properties you may have deleted.

But yes *´- maybe we shouldn't be given the option to delete stuff that will mess up a sharepoint installation without at least a warning :)

Friday, October 8, 2010 1:50 PM

• I also had this problem. I solved the problem in a more simple way:

Create a new Property with name like "SPSLocation" (leafe the '-' after 'SPS'). In this way the propertyname will be accepted. Now just start your SQL-Server Management Studio, select and edit the appropriate record in you profile database. In my case I used the following SQL:

Using this SQL to select the appropriate record (Ensure that you only get 1 result-line!!!):
    SELECT * FROM PropertyList WHERE PropertyName='SPSLocation';

Using this SQL to edit the appropriate record:
    UPDATE PropertyList SET PropertyName='SPS-Location' WHERE PropertyName='SPSLocation';

Now your 'My Profile'-Site should open without any errors.

Robin
    • Proposed as answer by damned Thursday, January 27, 2011 3:58 AM
    Saturday, January 1, 2011 4:32 PM
  • ModulAcht solution works perfect !

Tomas Paulas MCP,MCSA,MCSA-Messaging
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 10:14 AM

Create a new Property with name like "SPSLocation" (leafe the '-' after 'SPS'). In this way the propertyname will be accepted. Now just start your SQL-Server Management Studio, select and edit the appropriate record in you profile database. In my case I used the following SQL:

Using this SQL to select the appropriate record (Ensure that you only get 1 result-line!!!):

UPDATE PropertyList SET PropertyName='SPS-Location' WHERE PropertyName='SPSLocation';

Robin

Tested and used good solution!
    "Carpe Diem" does not mean "fish of the day."
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:57 AM

Central Adminsitrator --> User profile Service application --> Mange User Properties

Go user profile database

Andy Verma

• Edited by AndyVerma Friday, February 3, 2012 12:22 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Vivek Devaraj Wednesday, October 15, 2014 9:14 AM
    Friday, February 3, 2012 12:21 PM
  • If you -by chance- created some Profile Subtypes you may find the property still there and recover the erroneously deleted Property with one Mouseclick.

Saturday, June 2, 2012 6:58 PM
  • Thank you AndyVerma! SQL trick to easily correct the situation!
    Friday, November 23, 2012 12:25 PM
  • Making changes in the database like that would be unsupported by Microsoft, and you may find that when you install a CU or a Service Pack in the future, it breaks things again.

Friday, November 23, 2012 2:56 PM
  • Seconding RobEllis, the solution marked as answered is not appropriate for SharePoint.  The correct solution would be to re-create the Profile database from scratch or contact PSS to get authorization to manually recreate it via T-SQL.

SharePoint - Nauplius Applications
    Microsoft SharePoint Server MVP - 2012

Friday, November 23, 2012 5:02 PM

Central Adminsitrator --> User profile Service application --> Mange User Properties

Go user profile database

Andy Verma

I encountered the same problem... In my case, I had to delete SPS-Location, which had connects two other couple of places.

But eventually, yes, that worked for me too. This solution works!!

Thanks, god bless

Thanks,

Vivek

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 9:16 AM