none
Effect of Windows Update on WSUS RRS feed

• Question

• Recently in getting several difficult workstations updated I connect to the Windows Update site on the Internet and updated using that site.

What is the effect if any on the operation of WSUS? Will WSUS recognize updates installed over the Internet? Will using Windows Update over the Internet cause future issues with the WSUS process?
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 10:20 PM

Answers

• > What is the effect if any on the operation of WSUS?

None.

> Will WSUS recognize updates installed over the Internet?

Yes. Indirectly.

> Will using Windows Update over the Internet cause future issues with the WSUS process?

No.

To expand on this scenario . . . The Windows Update Agent contains all of the intelligence in this process, based on a ruleset that is coded into the XML metadata of the update package. In a normal WSUS-enabled update process, the WUAgent reports the successful (or not successful) download and installation of updates back to the WSUS Server, and this is what triggers the change in status from Not Installed to Not Installed/Downloaded (available from a sub-dialog of the Status Report), or Installed.

For an update installed from other methodologies -- AU, WU/MU, or a locally initiated installation, the WUAgent does not report these interim events to the WSUS Server. Thus, the WSUS Server status may continue to reflect the update as Needed, based on the last reporting event from the WUAgent. When the WUAgent then detects from the WSUS Server again, after the installation of an update via other means, the WUAgent will simply report that update is now Installed/Not Applicable, but the WSUS database will not have any record of the interim events leading up to that event (e.g. download, reboot pending).

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    • Marked as answer by Myrt Webb Saturday, October 17, 2009 12:49 AM
    Friday, October 16, 2009 1:54 AM