none
Windows 8 Remote Desktop Not Working when using RD Gateway server in the Advanced Settings RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have a home PC that had Windows 7 Ultimate.  I used Remote Desktop Connection to connect to my PC at work using our RD Gateway Server running on a Windows Server 2008 machine.  I just upgraded to Windows 8 Pro and now this no longer works. 

I can VPN into other networks and then use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to a PC.  However, when I try to use a RD Gateway Server on the Advanced Tab under Connect from Anywhere section, it will no longer connect.  This is something that I do daily and several times a day without a hitch until the Windows 8 Upgrade.

I checked with another Windows 7 PC that I have and I can still connect without an issue using the same exact settings as I do in Windows 8.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Sunday, October 28, 2012 1:27 AM

All replies

• Same here.  I also have RemoteApp connections that attempt to connect.  They report that the "Remote Desktop Gateway server is currently unavailable".  It only fails under Windows 8.  Win7 clients are still connecting normally.
    Sunday, October 28, 2012 9:21 PM
  • My RemoteApps do not work either.  I am thinking it has something to do with security or a certificate error but I am not sure.  I tried some tests such as using the IP Address of the RD Gateway Server instead of the URL name and got a certificate error showing the certificate information that is on our server.  So I know it is reaching the server and trying to authenticate.  I am just wondering if something needs to be changed on the RD Gateway Server for Windows 8. 
    Monday, October 29, 2012 11:08 PM
  • See the post in this link.  There is a spot in the IIS that you need to change as a workaround for fixing this issue. 

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/eu/winserverTS/thread/fda8b95c-32bb-4d34-b739-10733d9c92aa

Below is the fix:

Try this:

On your Server 2008 R2 Machine:

1.  Open IIS manager

2.  Select the default web site

3.  Select SSL

4.  Change the setting to ignore client certificates.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:35 PM
  • Here's your answer:

"I have a home PC that had Windows 7 Ultimate.  I used Remote Desktop Connection to connect to my PC at work using our RD Gateway Server running on a Windows Server 2008 machine.  I just upgraded to Windows 8 Pro and now this no longer works."

Me too - used an Ultimate 7 with RemoteApp SKU to host a RemoteApp on a Workstation for video editing.
    BTW This is the last post I could find with the Windows SKU's for RemoteApp support - it's pre-Windows 8: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2009/12/15/remoteapp-for-hyper-v.aspx

Anyway:

1) I am not sure of Windows 8 Enterprise (will look into it's file hierarchy soon) - but Windows 8 Pro file hierarchy does not contain the watchdog program rdpinit.exe nor the alternate shell itself (rdpshell.exe) - i.e. confirmed by searching C:\Windows file hierarchy for rdpinit.exe.

Basically, this confirms any support for RemoteApp is completely removed from the Windows 8 Pro SKU (BTW Even Windows 7 Pro contained rdpinit.exe - try and search C:\Windows on Win7 Pro - allthough the SKU did not have official support for RemoteApp)

Details:

(and on what you may be experiencing initially ...)

2.a) But before 1) where the Remote Desktop Session Host comes about and say it can not find rdpinit.exe - if you try and connect the Windows security log on the wanna-be remoteapp host will register some audit failures and disconnect - if you notice, the user was logged off "automatically" prior to that. The interfaces for the connection to the remote desktop host is missing. You can take a look at the difference from i.e. Windows Ultimate 7.

2.b) If you add those interfaces adding just 2 registry keys to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\TerminalTypes\eddcc3ce-6e7e-4f4b-8439-3d9ad4c9440f]
    "SessionSource"=dword:00000001
    "Name"="Remote Applications Terminal"

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\ConnectionHandler\eddcc3ce-6e7e-4f4b-8439-3d9ad4c9440f]
    "Description"="Default Connection Handler"
    "Name"="Default Connection Handler"
    "fAcceptConnection"=dword:00000001
    "CLSID"="2be8bdbb-be09-499d-9a4b-4637e09ae00b"

... you will find the result to be as in 1) ... rdpinit.exe is missing

Monday, November 5, 2012 4:00 AM
  • So what should users do know if they used to connect from laptops and other mobile settings to graphics or video Workstations - in general high performance workstations? I did use RemoteApp for that - and allthough I added a laptop with SSD and a Core i5 to the workflow - we still ned the workstation for rendering the videos. It simply has more horsepower - and we could use the juice with RemoteApp. Now there is no upgrade path from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 8 - if you want RemoteApp on high performance Workstations (I am not into the specifics of Windows 8 Enterprise - but hopefully it's usable - where you do not have to buy volume licenses? Else ...

I thinking about just upgrading the Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 8 Pro - and loosing the workflow as remoteapp. In that case, we will just have to login using remote desktop basically to start the rendering part of the workflow during post-production. But we can do that, because the laptop hardware was switched. But still - that's an experiment too - it may be better to keep the video file system around the workstation - and in that case it's a bummer and no go to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro. In that case we'll need RemoteApp around as in Windows 7 Ultimate - so we can start up the editing environment remotely.

Or do we need it? Can we live with remoteapp not being available anymore outside volume licensing (Windows 8 Enterprise SKU?) - and have to use a remote desktop session hiding the local user environment?

?? ... still too bad. The one and only great thing about the Windows 7 Ultimate SKU just disappeared.

Monday, November 5, 2012 4:01 AM