none
Guest Mode accounts can't access Store or some Built in Apps RRS feed

• Question

• We have some machines that we have setup 'guest mode' on in Windows 10. These machines are in an AD Domain and we have added specific AD user accounts to the local Guests group on the Windows machine. At the same time, we setup a Software Restriction Policy (SRP) in AD, with the default permission of Disabled, and then we explicitly allowed certain software and links to work.

However, it seems that certain apps are not working, namely (amongst others probably, but these are the ones that concern ous users) -

Calculator
    Films & TV
    Photos
    Snip & Sketch
    Sticky Notes

When we are logged in as the User that is in the local Guests group, when we click the apps, nothing happens, and nothing loads. In addition, when we open Microsoft Store, nothing happens. As a workaround, I created a chortcut to CALC.EXE, but when I launch this, I get the following error -

"You'll need a new app to open this ms-calculator link"

I thought is was the SRP Group Policy, but I disabled this (and even rebuilt the machine, to ensure all old GP settings were cleared), but the same happens and I can't seem top open any app that seems to be linked to Microsoft Store (even if the app is built in with Windows)

Am I correct that adding an account to local Guests group on a machine will stop Microsoft Store Apps from loading completely ? If so, is there a way to enable this for members of the Guests group ?

• Edited by Roger_H Wednesday, October 16, 2019 10:01 AM Removed 'Kiosk Mode' references
    Tuesday, October 15, 2019 2:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It caused by the Kiosk Mode,Kiosk Mode limit applications running by itself,so if you want to run multiple applications,you need to set external settings,you can see in the below link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/lock-down-windows-10-to-specific-apps

Best regards,

Charlotte Tang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 9:14 AM
  • Hi,

It caused by the Kiosk Mode,Kiosk Mode limit applications running by itself,so if you want to run multiple applications,you need to set external settings,you can see in the below link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/lock-down-windows-10-to-specific-apps

Best regards,

Charlotte Tang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

I'm not running what is described there as Kiosk Mode, because the machines will be used by other AD users as well. All I have done is to add specific AD accounts to the local Guests group, which means that (amongst other things) their profile is wiped clean when they logoff.

A side effect of this however, seems to be that I cannot run Store Apps. All other apps (Chrome, IE, Office 2016 apps) I am able to run.

Sorry if my use of the word Kiosk misled what I have done.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 9:28 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Charlotte Tang

Monday, October 21, 2019 9:00 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Charlotte Tang

Current situation is that nothing has changed, and behaviour is still as described. I'm not using Kiosk mode (hence I edited my original post to remove this reference). I understand how Kiosk mode would limit what users are doing, but as I am not using Kiosk Mode (but rather adding an AD user account to the local Guest group on the machines), the link provided does not elate to my issue
    Monday, October 21, 2019 9:43 AM