Ways to seamlessly migrate an existing DC (windows server 2012) to a new server (windows server 2016). RRS feed

• Question

• I have an existing domain - but I was given a task to reconfigure a new one.
    I have zero experience in this field some maybe some/all of my questions may sound stupid for you guru.
    1) How do I create a new DC without the need to manually reconnect each and every client to "new domain". It seems to me that the new domain should have a new UUID even if it has the same name as the previous one? What is the industry standard way to do it? Do I need to migrate from the old server to a new one? Or isn't it enough just to migrate, and I have to add a new DC to an existing forest.
    2) What are the instruments to migrate - DNS, DHCP, GPO, and Active Directory itself? Is there a way to migrate it selectively? so wrong settings from the previous DC won't go to a new one?   
    3) How do I properly install a new DC with a minimum downtime? Is there a proper way?

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 7:15 AM

All replies

• You posted to the forum dealing with clustering, and your question really has nothing to do with clustering.  

Active Directory is built on a multi-master model.  You can easily add another domain controller into an existing cluster and all information is automatically replicated from an existing DC to the new DC.  You do not have to do anything.

Your questions would be better addressed by the experts in the directory services forum located at https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=winserverDS

tim

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 1:12 PM
  • Yep. Sorry I have misplaced my post.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2020 5:48 AM