none
USING LOTS OF MEMORY AT IDLE

General discussion

•  

Has anyone notice how much memory sp1 refresh uses. when my pc is idle its using 1.15gb of ram  both on notebook and desktop 116.496 just in svchost.exe 3 running processes of svchost.exe and windows explorer 31.396 Memory leak somewhere? DUCK

Thursday, January 24, 2008 12:14 AM

All replies

• i think i have the same problem. svchost using like 50k memory atm, explorer.exe about 30k, and a few others. makes my computer really slow and its really annoying, but i have yet to find a fix for this. wish i could, cause its really hard to play games anymore because of it.
    Saturday, August 9, 2008 5:11 PM
  •  duckusa wrote:

Has anyone notice how much memory sp1 refresh uses. when my pc is idle its using 1.15gb of ram  both on notebook and desktop 116.496 just in svchost.exe 3 running processes of svchost.exe and windows explorer 31.396 Memory leak somewhere? DUCK

This is a common misconception. The adage is that "free RAM is wasted RAM". It doesn't do much good to install a lot of RAM, if it is not going to be used.

The Windows memory manager and prefetcher, (SuperFetch in Vista) will track your historic usage patterns for programs and load the files for the programs that you use the most, when Windows first starts. This means that when you start one of these programs, it will load and run much faster.

When you start another program that needs more RAM, the memory manager will release as much as the program calls for.

There are also many services (eg: Search Indexing, Defrag, etc) that will run only when the computer is idle. As soon as you start using the computer, these components will pause until the computer goes idle again.

There are many utilities available that say they can 'free' any 'unused' RAM? By definition, 'unused Ram' is already 'free RAM'. This is simply snakeoil talk. Programs that purport to ‘manage’ or ‘free up’ RAM are pandering to a delusion that only such ‘Free’ RAM is available for fresh uses. That is not true, and these programs often result in reduced performance and have been documented to result in runaway growth of the page file (Virtual Memory).

You want to make sure that the Superfetch Service is setup properly. Go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services and make sure that the Superfetch Service is started and set to Automatic.

In Control Panel/System/Advanced System Settings. In the Performance section, click the Settings button. In the Virtual Memory section, click the Change button. Make sure that 'System managed size' is selected.

Explore the features: SuperFetch:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/features/superfetch.aspx

RAM, Virtual Memory, Pagefile and all that stuff:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555223

Windows Vista Help: Optimize Windows Vista for better performance:
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/83EC0FFE-EE04-4D53-8B87-25D1F05C954E1033.mspx

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Saturday, August 9, 2008 6:30 PM