none
post 1903 conversion unclickable printers - screwed up default printer RRS feed

• Question

• I'm flipping a doman's PCs to 1903. The default printer was moved to One Note in the process! Really? I guess the QA testers over looked this flaw.

The worst part is that in trying to select a printer->Manage->Set as default one is unable to do so. When attempting to click on Manage the scope moves from printer to printer making it impossible to define the default printer. Printer wack-a-mole.

These poor end users are having to reset the printer selection in Office for EVERY SINGLE PRINT JOB. Their jobs are to produce documents all day long.

MS please fire the Director of QA for being utterly incompetent and uncaring about the pain and suffering of others. We paid tax dollars for an actual working domain, not this pathetic joke of an excuse for an OS. This public beta testing should be illegal. It certainly is EVIL! I'm glad we waited for "stability" in 1903. Imagine if we had been an early adapter. Those poor suckers must still be recovering from the total absence of quality.

KA

Friday, October 18, 2019 12:12 PM

All replies

• Open group policies editor and navigate to:

User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Printers

Among the list of policies, find the policy ‘Turn off Windows default printer management‘ and Enable it.

Open Command Prompt (Admin)

Enter the command gpupdate /force in the command prompt window and restart the system.

Besides, configure your default printer from Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 21, 2019 2:01 AM
  • Thanks!, for the GPO option. We had also discussed this within our department.

However this fix does not allow us to select any printers on a client for changing options or any other purpose. It is not possible to modify ANY printer. It is like whack-a-mole!

If I select a printer and then right click, the scope moves down one printer. Select that next printer and right click and it just keeps repeating all the way down the line. 

At this time we are unable interact with any printers at all. Not all PCs are affected. Perhaps 1/3 has this issue.

After we can modify printer settings, then we can discuss the best default options. 

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 6:55 PM
  • With PrintSpooler enabled in Add/Remove-Windows services (L.sub menu),if ok,then in cmd,type: services.msc scroll to PrintSpooler double click,set to Auto start,start service,exit.Scroll to other services,any set to Disable should be set to Manual start,this lets the OS run it if needed.Plus,scroll to Win Installer,set to Auto start,set Win Modules to Manual..Also,Microsoft/Windows has a utility called: Print Migrator install to the host pc/w/printer,R.click on the software-run icon,create a shortcut,move shortcut to other pcs,it should configure printer defaults to another pc..Plus,edit pc firewall,& remote settings..
    Wednesday, October 23, 2019 9:58 PM
  • I can't fix this wack-a-mole moving printer defect yet. However, by reinstalling the same printer again, the new instance does not wack-a-mole. It is then stable.

KA

Friday, November 1, 2019 1:42 PM
  • Glad to hear this issue has been solved by yourself. Thanks for sharing, hope your experience will help other community members facing similar problems.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 8:55 AM