none
SQL Server Virtulization,UPgrade and Consolidation.. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone ,

I am working on Project to Visualize SQL Environment and with this project I am also planning to SQL Upgrade and Consolidate SQL Server as well as Database. I like to know

1) When Consolidate Servers whats should be best approach to keep it. During Phase-1 we have 5 Prod SQL 2005  Servers. to consolidate into one or two servers what things should keep in mind

2) For above SQL 2005 Prod serves Database all together is 159 GB . /How TO consolidate Database also?

3) how to decide CPU ,Memory will required for each new sql Instance or to allocate. ( It is going to full Virtual)

I ran MAP tool kit also doing analysis from reports so far couldn't find starting point for consolidate Server/Database .

Also we have lot outside vendor applications so it will be good practice to put their DB on shared server?

Any other consideration or Information are welcome.

Thanks you 

Please Mark As Answer if it is helpful. \\Aim To Inspire Rather to Teach A.Shah

Friday, May 23, 2014 5:42 PM

Answers

• Hello,

1) I will try to mix write-intensive databases with read-intensive databases.

2) Make sure the storage can handle the IOPS required by all the databases. Determine if the nature of workload on the storage will be random or sequential.

3) Examine any historical data about CPU and memory usage of existing servers to estimate resources required for the new server. If the new consolidated services are virtual servers, you can always add CPU and memory resources. If the new consolidated servers are physical, make sure you can add CPUs and RAM if needed, and perform the consolidation server by server verifying the new server is able to handle the workload.

The following article may be useful:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee819082(v=SQL.100).aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Friday, May 23, 2014 6:35 PM