none
How to view pictures in folders using Picture Library Slideshow Viewer Web Part

Question

• I have a picture library with folders in it. When I use the Picture Library Slideshow Viewer Web Part, it does not show pictures that are in folders. Is there a way around this? I would really like to have just a couple folders with about 10 pictures in each that I can view. Any ideas?
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 2:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Josh, I know that you need 5 folders to organize the pictures. However, with SharePoint 2010, you can use views to organize pictures. So each picture belong to a folder right? So basically, you create an additional column within the picture library. Then, after you add the pictures, make sure to also fill in that additional column with the folder which it belongs to. After you do all that, simply create a new view for each folder, in this case, 5 views. For each view, you simply specify the filtering so it only displays the pictures with a certain folder name. This way, you can still organize your pictures, just without folders. Hope this helps!
    • Marked as answer by josh6847 Monday, August 02, 2010 2:19 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by josh6847 Friday, August 20, 2010 6:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by josh6847 Friday, August 20, 2010 6:04 PM
    Friday, July 30, 2010 12:28 PM
  • Hi Josh, like I said before, I'm pretty sure the out-of-the-box picture slideshow webpart will not show pictures that are inside folders of a picture library. Maybe there is a 3rd party web part which can satisfy your requirements. Good luck!
    • Marked as answer by josh6847 Friday, August 20, 2010 8:55 PM
    Friday, August 20, 2010 6:24 PM

All replies

• Josh

let me know if this workaround is acceptable.

1. for your list, create a new view without showing folders
    2. configure picture library slideshow viewer webpart to use this view

hope it helps

Kanwal SharePoint Buzz | SharePoint Delivery
    Friday, July 23, 2010 7:00 PM
  • Kanwal,

Thanks for the reply. I have created a view that does not show folders... This works great. Then, when I configure the picture library slideshow viewer web part to use this view, it still does not show the pictures... Any reason why you think this may not be working properly?

Thanks.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:28 PM
  • Hi Josh, if you just want to have a Picture Slide show with pictures from both folders, why not just drag only those pictures from both folders into the SharePoint picture library. Note: Drag and drop multiple pictures is only possible with Internet Explorer. As far as I know, the picture slide show will not display the pictures if they are in a folder inside the picture library. One of my colleague had the same problem. Or, if you want the pictures displayed separately, create two picture libraries and drag one set of pictures from one folder into one picture library and the second in the other.
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 6:28 PM
  • It is a requirement that I have 5 folders in the Picture Library to organize the pictures... Then, it is also a requirement to have the picture viewer on the page to view all the pictures in the Picture Library. Thoughts?

Thursday, July 29, 2010 6:53 PM
  • Hi Josh, I know that you need 5 folders to organize the pictures. However, with SharePoint 2010, you can use views to organize pictures. So each picture belong to a folder right? So basically, you create an additional column within the picture library. Then, after you add the pictures, make sure to also fill in that additional column with the folder which it belongs to. After you do all that, simply create a new view for each folder, in this case, 5 views. For each view, you simply specify the filtering so it only displays the pictures with a certain folder name. This way, you can still organize your pictures, just without folders. Hope this helps!
    • Marked as answer by josh6847 Monday, August 02, 2010 2:19 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by josh6847 Friday, August 20, 2010 6:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by josh6847 Friday, August 20, 2010 6:04 PM
    Friday, July 30, 2010 12:28 PM
  • I went ahead and did the view approach. Problem is, the dang slideshow viewer will not show pictures if they exist in subfolders...no matter what. I cannot get this simple concept to work. Has anyone else been able to do this?
    Friday, August 20, 2010 5:42 PM
  • I went ahead and did the view approach. Problem is, the dang slideshow viewer will not show pictures if they exist in subfolders...no matter what. I cannot get this simple concept to work. Has anyone else been able to do this?

What do you mean by exist in sub-folders? Are you still including folders in the picture library? What does the hierarchy look like?
    Friday, August 20, 2010 5:54 PM
  • Okay, so I actually tried it this way...

I created 5 folders (that also contain sub-folders) and an additional column for each picture item that is called 'Include in Slideshow' - then, I created a view that filters based on the 'Include in Slideshow' column - this does not work since the pictures exist in folders/sub-folders (I have sub-folders within the folders as well, again, for organization). I need to keep the folder structure becuase I am placing this Picture Library on my web part page. If I do not use folders, I will have a list of 200 pictures (that are not in folders).

Does this make sense? Basically, to make a long story short, if I cannot show pictures that are in a folder through the Slideshow Viewer, then I will end up not using the Slideshow Viewer. The folder structure is VERY important to the business users.

Friday, August 20, 2010 6:03 PM
  • Hi Josh, like I said before, I'm pretty sure the out-of-the-box picture slideshow webpart will not show pictures that are inside folders of a picture library. Maybe there is a 3rd party web part which can satisfy your requirements. Good luck!
    • Marked as answer by josh6847 Friday, August 20, 2010 8:55 PM
    Friday, August 20, 2010 6:24 PM
  • I have a pictures library without any folders, and from some reasons it also doesn't display anything! (in previous tests i did, maybe in a different environment, it did worked! - is it something which is related to the PC or any client installations?)
    Sunday, October 10, 2010 4:10 PM