none
"Value does not fall within the expected range" error when configuring SharePoint RRS feed

• Question

• Platform: Windows Server 2008 R2 x64
    MSS: Sharepoint 3.0 SP2 64bit

To install TFS on a server, we need:
    1. Install and config IIS.
    2. Install SQL Server
    3. Install and config MSS
    4. Install and config TFS.

As you can see,
    I am now at step 3.
    This means NO TFS has been installed on that box.

I need to run the following command to config the MSS.

stsadm.exe -o extendvs -exclusivelyusentlm -url http://WSSServerName:80 -ownerlogin Domain\UserName -owneremail "admin@localhost" -sitetemplate sts -description "Default Web Site"

where:

WSSServerName
    is the name of the server that is running SharePoint Products and Technologies. Domain\UserName is the domain and user name of the account that you specified earlier in this topic as the database access account. admin@localhost is the e-mail address where administrative alerts are sent. Default Web Site is a brief description of the site. 

Modify parameters above to appropriate variables, and then press Enter.
    "Value does not fall within the expected range" will be shown and the web application would not be created.

any help will be appreciate.

Thanks,
    Kylin

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:43 AM Reference to original post removed as irrelevent and will waste people's time when they look at it. Full information is here. (and why you mention TFS when you say you haven't installed it yet is beyond me)
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:24 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my research, this issue happens when creating a web application and telling it to use an existing application pool which is already configured to use the ApplicationPoolIdentity identity type, in both the UI and stsadm command line. If you choose to use an existing application pool which is not of type ApplicationPoolIdentity, or if you create a new application pool that is not of type ApplicationPoolIdentity, then it works in both the UI and command line.

The workaround are:

1.       Create the Application Pool using SharePoint Administration in the UI.

2.       Or have the administrator explicitly specify an application pool which does not use the "Application pool identity type".

Thanks!

Rock Wang

Rock Wang– MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Kylin.Ming Thursday, August 27, 2009 10:03 AM
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 9:49 AM

All replies

• Note to All:

As is clear from the above post, in fact this question has nothing to do with TFS.

People writing questions on TFS will have their posts moved to Off-topic as before because there is a set of forums in existence for TFS users. 

In order to make posts clear for poor, hard-working moderators, if you have a case where TFS has not been installed and your question is purely about either WSS 3.0 or MOSS 2007 installation ("MSS" stands for Microsoft Search Server not SharePoint), please do not mention "TFS" at all in it. 

(One such Moderator)

WSS FAQ sites: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com and http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 / MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/Lists/v3%20WSS%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:48 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my research, this issue happens when creating a web application and telling it to use an existing application pool which is already configured to use the ApplicationPoolIdentity identity type, in both the UI and stsadm command line. If you choose to use an existing application pool which is not of type ApplicationPoolIdentity, or if you create a new application pool that is not of type ApplicationPoolIdentity, then it works in both the UI and command line.

The workaround are:

1.       Create the Application Pool using SharePoint Administration in the UI.

2.       Or have the administrator explicitly specify an application pool which does not use the "Application pool identity type".

Thanks!

Rock Wang

Rock Wang– MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Kylin.Ming Thursday, August 27, 2009 10:03 AM
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 9:49 AM
  • Hi Rock

Thank you very much.
    I managed to create a web application via SharePoint Admin UI.
    I also created the site collection via UI.
    Now it works..

Thanks agian.
    Kylin
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 10:04 AM
  • Hi, I'm trying to instal TFS 2008, but i'm having an error in the configuration of SharePoint in -ownermail "admin@localhost", my command is

stsadm.exe -o extendvs -exclusivelyusentlm -url http://ServerA:80 -ownerlogin SystemX\TFSSERVICE -owneremail "admin@localhost" -sitetemplate sts -description "Default Web Site"

any idea how to correct the error, or how I can create the site collection via UI.

thanks...

Lizbeth Morales

• Edited by Elimyna Tuesday, June 8, 2010 2:15 PM Style
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 2:13 PM