none
Upgrading DPM 2012 R2 to DPM 2016 on a VM RRS feed

• Question

• I have 3 DPM 2012 R2 UR 12 servers that I am going to upgrade to DPM 2016.  All are VMs running on a WS 2016 Hyper-V cluster.  The VMs are running WS 2012 R2.  According to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/dpm/upgrade-to-dpm-2016 the upgrade process is:

• Upgrade DPM 2012 R2 Update Rollup 10 to DPM 2016.
    • Update the agents on the protected servers.
    • Upgrade Windows Server 2012 R2 to Windows Server 2016.
    • Upgrade DPM Remote Administrator on all production servers.
    • Backups will continue without rebooting your production server.

The problem is that I can't install DPM 2016 because it requires Hyper-V components to be installed in the pre-requisites section.  The components won't install from the DPM installer nor from Server Manager because CPU virtualization features aren't detected, and I can't enable nested virtualization because my OS isn't WS 2016 (upgrading the OS is 2 steps down the list).

Any thoughts?

Thursday, June 8, 2017 10:17 PM

All replies

• You don't install the Hyper-V in a VM, you only need the management components.
    Tuesday, June 20, 2017 6:46 AM
  • Sorry for the delay in responding, some other things prevented me from testing your statement.  I also have read that only the PowerShell management tools are required, but evidence suggests that that is incorrect.

As a test I setup a brand-new Windwos Server 2016 VM (running on top of Server 2016 Hyper-V with CPU virtualization extensions enabled for the VM).  I installed all the SQL pre-requisites for DPM 2016.  For Windows Features and Roles, I installed only the Hyper-V Module for Windows PowerShell (Hyper-V-PowerShell).  When the DPM wizard runs the pre-requisites checker it reports:

The missing prerequisite (HyperVPowerShell) has been installed.Restart the computer and run the application again.

After rebooting, I now have the Hyper-V role installed (in addition to the Hyper-V PowerShell tools) and can successfully pass the pre-requisites checker.  If I remove the Hyper-V role and keep the Hyper-V PowerShell tools and reboot for the removal to take effect, it will again tell me that HyperVPowerShell is missing.

That all suggests that the Hyper-V role is a requirement for DPM 2016.  Does anyone with an install of DPM 2016 have it working without the Hyper-V role installed?

Thursday, June 29, 2017 4:12 PM