none
SharePoint Database Errors In Event Logs - EventID's 3760, 5215, 6398

Question

• For the last few weeks I've noticed the SharePoint errors listed below in my daily network report event logs.

We've got SharePoint running under SBS 2008 although it is in it's default configuration - we don't use SharePoint as such (at the moment) and I've not touched it's configuration since I originally installed the server.

I get these errors once a day, every day.  ALSO, the errors seem to coincide with when the server daily backup is running. That starts at 7PM every day, and the errors are normally 7.05PM and 7.06PM.

EventID 3760
    Event Details:    SQL Database ''ShareWebDb'' on SQL Server instance ''np:\\.\pipe\MSSQL$Microsoft##SSEE\sql\query'' not found. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below. Cannot open database "ShareWebDb" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user ''NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE''.

EventID 5215
    Event Details:    Unable to connect to database. Check database connection information and make sure the database server is running.

EventID 6398
    Event Details:    The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPImmediateAlertsJobDefinition (ID 9cde74d7-4a06-46b8-ba8c-be9ff87e5a9a) threw an exception. More information is included below. Unable to connect to database. Check database connection information and make sure the database server is running.

Any ideas what might be causing these problems.

Thus far I've done a repair of SharePoint and also unlinked and re-linked the SharewebDb database.

SharePoint itself works fine - as in you can browse to companyweb etc.

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but in order to view the SQL database in SQL Server Management Studio on the DC, I have to run as administrator.

• Edited by BadBoyHouse Monday, December 12, 2011 10:12 AM
    Monday, December 12, 2011 9:34 AM

All replies

• It looks very much like the backup is taking the database offline when it runs, IIRC the built in backup puts the database in 'single user' mode which means the backup process can access it but nothing else can. If you're not using SharePoint much it's very possible that the backup would run in a minute or less.

If you start using SharePoint as a production environment you could re-schedule the backup to run at more suitable hours, or a much better option may be to exclude the SharePoint databases from the standard backup and configure SQL Backups to run which would not take the database offline. (I don't think you can do this with the SQL Server Embedded Edition that's built into SBS, you'd need to upgrade to a a 'full' version of SQL Server)

Monday, December 12, 2011 11:19 AM
  • Excluding the SharePoint database from the backup would be my preferred option.  However is this actually possible with Windows Server Backup on SBS 2008?
    Monday, December 12, 2011 11:33 AM