none
Cannot create a virtual machine collection: No Virtual Machine Templates are listed RRS feed

• Question

• I have RD Connection Broker, RD Web Access, and RD Virtualization Host all installed on a single Windows Server 2019 (Datacenter). I have a Windows 10 virtual machine template that has been sysprepped, is in the off state, is a generation 1 vm, and has been exported to multiple different locations, yet the template does not show up when creating a personal virtual machine collection. I simply have no options to choose from. 
    Yesterday when trying to create a collection, the template showed and I was able to continue through the setup wizard, but I had to cancel the configuration before it was created.
    Today, the template no longer shows up.
    I have reinstalled all RDS roles multiple times, I have rebooted multiple times, I have sysprepped the template multiple times, I have even created a new virtual machine and sysprepped it without any luck. I have tried restarting the Virtualization Host service and the Connection Broker service, as well as the RD Management service. No luck. This machine is not a DC or a DNS.

It makes no sense, and I have found that other people have had this similar problem, but no solutions are posted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Edited by xalaliah Wednesday, October 23, 2019 6:51 PM
    Friday, October 18, 2019 8:17 PM

Answers

• For anyone with this same issue:

We had backups of the machine that were taken before VDI setup. Doing a full system recovery to one of these previous images fixed the problem for us, after reinstalling all the required roles and features and recreating the templates. 

I'm not sure exactly why this fixed the issue, I had even reinstalled the OS in place, but that didn't even work. The only information that I can provide is that it seemed like the RDVH wasn't being properly installed/configured onto the machine, and so it wasn't working as expected (i.e., detecting templates or communicating with the RDCB on the same machine). I don't know why this happened, nor how to avoid it in the future, but a system restore did solve our issue.

• Marked as answer by xalaliah Wednesday, October 30, 2019 2:44 PM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2019 2:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try to enable RDS log files, then, reproduce the problem and confirm that if there is any helpful information logged.

Besides, please check RDS relate event viewer and try to find relate event.

Introduction to log files that are useful for troubleshooting RDS issues in Windows Server 2012:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/2747656/introduction-to-log-files-that-are-useful-for-troubleshooting-rds-issu

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 21, 2019 6:33 AM
  • I have followed the instructions from the link you provided and only the RdmsUI-trace.log file gets created. I've looked through the entire thing and there are no warnings or errors. Really, nothing fishy shows up at all.

I have also scoured Event Viewer for all possible warnings and errors related to RDS services, but there was only one error: "Remote Desktop Connection Broker Client failed to redirect the user". I found the solution from Microsoft directly, rebooted, and confirmed that the error no longer appears, but the templates are still invisible.

As far as I know, everything is running as it is supposed to. I am not receiving any more errors or warnings from any RDS-related service. Why can I still not see any templates when I try to create a collection?? I am literally left with no hint or clue as to what could be breaking this?

Furthermore, in Server Manager, in the Collections tab of Remote Desktop Services, it shows that no collections have been created (which is correct, because I can't create one) but also that there are 0 virtual desktops residing on my RD Virtualization Host. There should be two! Why is it not detecting my VM templates???

Monday, October 21, 2019 6:00 PM
  • Hi,

In order to have further identification, detail log and tracing should be collected. However, it is beyond the support scope on the forum.

I would recommend you to contact Microsoft Customer Support and Services where more in-depth investigation can be done so that you would get a more satisfying explanation and solution to this issue. In addition, if the issue has been proved as system flaw, the consulting fee would be refund. 

Global Customer Service phone numbers:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13948/global-customer-service-phone-numbers

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 6:25 AM
  • Update on the status of this issue:

I have reinstalled the Server OS yet again, reinstalled all RDS roles, and made completely new VM Templates. I then tried to create a Quick Deployment rather than a Standard deployment. The deployment executed, but the quick collection was not properly created, and I now get this error:

Event ID: 1536
    Source: TerminalServices-SessionBroker 
    Info: "VM Provisioning operation [Create] failed for pool [QuickVMCollection]. No VM Host is connected to broker."

As well as:

Event ID: 8210

Source: Rdms-UI

Info: "QuickVMCollection: Provisioning job failed. Reason: " 

So for some reason my RDVH and RDCB are not communicating... but they are the same exact physical server. I don't understand how this is the case here...

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 9:25 PM
  • Hi,

Only based on the event is unable to identify the details, as VDI deployment is complex and includes both Hyper-V and RDS. I would recommend you to contact Microsoft Customer Support and Services, specific supporter will help you to collect detail log and analyze to fine helpful information. 

Thank you for your understanding. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 9:32 AM
  • For anyone with this same issue:

We had backups of the machine that were taken before VDI setup. Doing a full system recovery to one of these previous images fixed the problem for us, after reinstalling all the required roles and features and recreating the templates. 

I'm not sure exactly why this fixed the issue, I had even reinstalled the OS in place, but that didn't even work. The only information that I can provide is that it seemed like the RDVH wasn't being properly installed/configured onto the machine, and so it wasn't working as expected (i.e., detecting templates or communicating with the RDCB on the same machine). I don't know why this happened, nor how to avoid it in the future, but a system restore did solve our issue.

• Marked as answer by xalaliah Wednesday, October 30, 2019 2:44 PM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2019 2:44 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to share details. Your share might be helpful for other people who has similar problem. 

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post on the forum.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, October 31, 2019 1:31 AM