none
WMIPRVSE.EXE take a lot of CPU

Question

• HI

I have a Windows terminal server 2008 R2 x64 English with French multilanguage pack.

The wmiprvse.exe process takes a lot of CPU.

I ran process monitor from sysinternal and i found that this process request many time per second a file tzres.dll

I tried to install this patche KB2443685 but the system said that this update doesn't apply on  this computer.

I have the right version of the patche (Windows 2008 R2 x64)

I don't know what to do

I hope someone have a clue.

Thanks

Jonathan Campbell

Friday, September 28, 2012 3:37 PM

Answers

• Version tzutil.exe: 6.1.7601.17514    Date: 2010-11-20

Version Tzres.dll: 6.1.7601.17720      Date: 2011-11-05

Other informations.... I have 55 users logged on this TS during the day and this is the moment where i have this issue. If a check during the night the process doesn't run or almost nothing. All sessions are in French MUI et Canada as the location. With Process Monitor, i found that wmiprvse.exe tries to access tzres.dll.mui into a folder c:\windows\system32\fr-CA and ...system32\fr but the files are not there and the folder fr-CA doesn't exist. I tried to create the folder and put a tzres.dll.mui into them but the problème persist.

Perform a clean boot is difficult to do for the moment. But i think the problem comes from the MUI. Maybe i will unistall it to see if it is the case.

Thanks for other suggestions

Jonathan Campbell

Monday, October 1, 2012 4:09 PM

All replies

• are you sure of KB2443685:

December 2010 cumulative time zone update for Windows operating systems

???

Marco Adamo

Friday, September 28, 2012 3:54 PM
  • The tzres.dll related to time zone. Some people seem to solve this problem with this patche that i am unable to install...

Jonathan Campbell

Friday, September 28, 2012 4:01 PM
  • What's the date and version number of tzres.dll and tzutil on your server? (I'm almost positive it's the 2009 file, but want to confirm).

Also, if you reboot the server, does the problem smooth out for a while? This won't get the patch installed for you, but the problem is a memory leak IIRC, and reboots have been known to reduce the wmiprvse/tzres CPU use for a while.

Saturday, September 29, 2012 2:31 AM
  • Try to perform the clean boot.

Check the similar thread.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/145d6e7e-26aa-4dee-ac4b-97763483aaec/

Thanks

Saturday, September 29, 2012 7:37 AM
  • Juke, if clean boot works but the problem returns, the thread Yousuf mentions - particularly the techniques described in the blog he references - sounds like a workable solution. Ignore the bit in the blog about "only Windows 2003". :)
    Saturday, September 29, 2012 8:40 PM
  • Version tzutil.exe: 6.1.7601.17514    Date: 2010-11-20

Version Tzres.dll: 6.1.7601.17720      Date: 2011-11-05

Other informations.... I have 55 users logged on this TS during the day and this is the moment where i have this issue. If a check during the night the process doesn't run or almost nothing. All sessions are in French MUI et Canada as the location. With Process Monitor, i found that wmiprvse.exe tries to access tzres.dll.mui into a folder c:\windows\system32\fr-CA and ...system32\fr but the files are not there and the folder fr-CA doesn't exist. I tried to create the folder and put a tzres.dll.mui into them but the problème persist.

Perform a clean boot is difficult to do for the moment. But i think the problem comes from the MUI. Maybe i will unistall it to see if it is the case.

Thanks for other suggestions

Jonathan Campbell

Monday, October 1, 2012 4:09 PM