none
Text document could not be created RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all!

Seems i'm not the only one with this problem... But others didn't get a response, so i'll hope you may help. I get the following error, if i create a new document basend on a site-contenttype (based on a txt-file).

"The document could not be created. The required application may not be installed properly, or the template for this Document Library cannot be opened. Please try the following: 1. Check the General Settings for this Document Library for the name of the template, and install the application necessary for opening the template. If the application was set to install on first use, run the application and then try creating a new document again. 2. If you have permission to modify this Document Library, go to General Settings for the library and configure a new template."

If i upload this template-txt-file and open it in edit-mode, notepad opens and i'm able to edit the file. But the same file used as template in a contenttype will lead to the error, if i try to create a new file.

This error does not occur, if i use a word-file...

Any ideas? Would be great!

Thanks a lot!

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 8:54 AM

Answers

• Hi Membran333,

By design, SharePoint uses the SharePoint.OpenDocuments ActiveX control to open a file from SharePoint. But for security reasons, SharePoint only allow known Office application to be executed using the control.
    Text file is by default opened by Notepad.exe, which is not an Office application. Let's why we see the alert message.

Thanks,
    Jinchun Chen

Jinchun Chen(JC)
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Membran3333 Tuesday, January 8, 2013 7:46 AM
    Friday, December 21, 2012 10:25 AM

All replies

• Hello Membram,

Tried to verify this patch from Microsoft to solve the problem?

Reference Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286282/en-us

I hope I helped.

Hezequias Vasconcelos

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 4:30 PM
  • Hi,

i'm using a contenttype (not the direct template-feature, which is described in the reference).

And I'm using a txt-file as template (not office-file).

With an Office-File as template i have no problems.

SP1 is installed...

Thanks so far

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 7:43 AM
  • Hello,

Sorry for the misinterpretation of the problem.

Well, for some scenarios that I have seen in companies usually experience this problem for content type in the problem may be related to the SharePoint component of Office that is responsible for opening the documents presents a problem. Or it was not installed or you need to repair your installation.

In the text below there are some procedures described by Microsoft can also be used to correct the problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833714/en-us

I hope I helped.

Hezequias Vasconcelos

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 10:04 AM
  • Thank you for your fast replies.

Tried to solve the problem with the described procedures. But the problem is still there.

The second reference also describes procedures with focus on office-fiiles, not txt-files. With Office-files there are no problems.

I'm using Office 2010. (if its necessary)

Thank you so far!

Would be great if there are some other ideas.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 12:41 PM
  • Hi Membran333,

By design, SharePoint uses the SharePoint.OpenDocuments ActiveX control to open a file from SharePoint. But for security reasons, SharePoint only allow known Office application to be executed using the control.
    Text file is by default opened by Notepad.exe, which is not an Office application. Let's why we see the alert message.

Thanks,
    Jinchun Chen

Jinchun Chen(JC)
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Membran3333 Tuesday, January 8, 2013 7:46 AM
    Friday, December 21, 2012 10:25 AM