none
Removing columns from list when exporting to Excel RRS feed

• Question

• I have a couple of questions, which may, or may not be simple!

A custom list has been created in SharePoint, when it is exported into Excel there are two additional columns that appear at the end, 'Type' and 'Path'. The reason the list was created was for tracking customer support issues logged recently, then the idea is to export to Excel and send it out to the customer as a breakdown of their outstanding tickets.

However, it needs to be a fairly automated process and at the moment we have to manually delete the additional columns. I can't see a way to remove them from the view, as if I go to edit they are not visible fields.

The second question I have is whether it is possible to embed a logo into the list so that when it is exported to Excel it has our company logo?

Any help is much appreciated!

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 2:15 PM

Answers

• if you delete columns from a exported spread sheet, Excel won't add them back if you refresh the sheet.  Give it a try.  Delete these two rows from the list and then resynch the data from the Data tab.  Those two items won't be readded.  It's only when you continually export the data from a list level that you have to keep removing these columns.

The exorted data within Excel is only updated within a tabulated region.  This means that outside of the formatted columns area you can add an logo to the spreadsheet with no problem.  It won't intefere with the live part of the list.

Hope that helps.

Steven Andrews
    SharePoint Business Analyst: LiveNation Entertainment
    Blog: baron72.wordpress.com
    Twitter: Follow @backpackerd00d
    My Wiki Articles: CodePlex Corner Series
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves (or helps) your problem.

• Marked as answer by Clare Nunn Wednesday, January 8, 2014 2:54 PM
    Wednesday, January 8, 2014 2:26 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• if you delete columns from a exported spread sheet, Excel won't add them back if you refresh the sheet.  Give it a try.  Delete these two rows from the list and then resynch the data from the Data tab.  Those two items won't be readded.  It's only when you continually export the data from a list level that you have to keep removing these columns.

The exorted data within Excel is only updated within a tabulated region.  This means that outside of the formatted columns area you can add an logo to the spreadsheet with no problem.  It won't intefere with the live part of the list.

Hope that helps.

Steven Andrews
    SharePoint Business Analyst: LiveNation Entertainment
    Blog: baron72.wordpress.com
    Twitter: Follow @backpackerd00d
    My Wiki Articles: CodePlex Corner Series
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves (or helps) your problem.

• Marked as answer by Clare Nunn Wednesday, January 8, 2014 2:54 PM
    Wednesday, January 8, 2014 2:26 PM
    Answerer
  • Great! Thank you that has worked, although it does mean we have to keep a shared spread sheet but it's better than removing the columns each time.
    Wednesday, January 8, 2014 2:54 PM