none
DPM 2016 UR2 - Console hanging when starting Consistency Checks RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone else experience issues with the 2016 UR2 console hanging when trying to run consistency checks on inconsistent replicas? Thanks
    Wednesday, April 12, 2017 10:59 AM

All replies

• Happens from time to time on our larger DPM server.  Not usually an issue on the smaller ones.
    Monday, April 24, 2017 2:31 PM
  • Happens from time to time on our larger DPM server.  Not usually an issue on the smaller ones.
    *** Happens a LOT of the time if not all the time anymore.  It can become unresponsive for up to 15 minutes after starting a consistency check.
    • Edited by JN1226 Monday, June 5, 2017 2:14 PM
    Monday, June 5, 2017 2:14 PM
  • This is still happening on DPM 2016 CU2, anyone have a solution yet?
    Saturday, July 8, 2017 5:39 PM
  • I set up a DPM 2016 CU2 VHDX on a new Hyper-V 2016 parent.  I migrated all of my 2012R2 DPM jobs to the new 2016 server.

Immediately I started noticing the issue where creating new jobs or performing consistency checks hang in the console.

Comparison of servers:

2102R2 DPM:  physical server, 16 GB RAM, Raid 5 storage array (8TB).  2 NICs,  OS on separate RAID 1 array.

2016 DPM:  VHDX on brand new 2016 Datacenter server - Hyper-V parent, 128GB RAM, Raid 1 array (OS), RAID 10 array (VHDX storage), RAID 5 array - DPM Pool 10 TB using REfs.  Allocated 6 processors and 18GB RAM on DPM 2016 vhdx.  Set SQL memory limit to 8GB.  4 GB NICs teamed for Hyper-V virtual switch.

Things I've tried:  moving all other VHDXs off of the parent and sending more resources to sole DPM VHDX.  Still hanging in console, several jobs unable to perform consistency check.

Thank goodness I haven't retired my DPM 2012R2 server.  I am ready to migrate all servers back to 2012R2 DPM agent and reconfigure backup jobs on the old server.

Something is up - I've used DPM for 12 years and never had this much of an issue getting back-ups to run.

• Edited by techkat2 Thursday, July 20, 2017 2:08 PM
    Thursday, July 20, 2017 2:07 PM
  • I've seen a similar hang issue with the console on DPM 2016 UR2 on Server 2016 and the issue was related to Windows Defender antivirus. Just to test can you temporarily disable realtime scanning of Defender on the DPM server and see if the behaviour changes.

This happened intermittently for me and usually when disk intensive processes were taking place. Excluding DPM processes and volumes helped but ultimately an order of magnitude of performance returned for backup in general when disabling realtime scanning.

Let me know if this helps.

Thursday, July 20, 2017 10:07 PM
  • Danny - I have a SCEP DPM template applied to the DPM servers which does indeed contain the exclusion for DPM processes and volumes; however real-time scanning was enabled.

Just disabled real-time scanning protection on the template and the server console is already more responsive.  A couple of my back-up consistency checks that were inconsistent completed.

I will post back on this thread after moving our network file server back to 2016 early next week.  Need to get a few good back-ups in place on the 2012R2 DPM server before attempting another move of the job back to 2016 DPM.

Will confirm next week.  Thank you!

Friday, July 21, 2017 12:41 PM
  • Update -  Various back-up job consistency checks are continually failing even though the 2016 DPM console is more responsive by turning off real-time scanning.  I have moved many of my jobs back to 2012R2 DPM, awaiting possibly a Rollup 3 for testing.
    Tuesday, July 25, 2017 2:56 PM
  • Disable Windows Defender via GPO this will sort most of the issues. As there is a bug between defender and DPM atm.

So you need to go into local policy and disable it.

The hanging when enabling a synchronization is a bug and MS is aware of it but does not have a fix until UR3 comes out.

JT

Thursday, July 27, 2017 5:05 PM