none
what is the simplest way to upload a file to overwrite an existing file with different file name?

Question

• I have a doc lib with versioning enabled.

I would like to allow users to drag-drop files (oftern from email attachment, with different names) into the doc lib and then overwrite an existing file. Also expect a new version is created.

I tried many things and it seems none is perfect:

SharePoint list in Outlook - not drag-drop

sharepoint 2010 workspace - can not overwrite an existing one

Colligo - can drag-drop, allow you to set different file name but no version created and files in doc lib not overwritten

Any help here?

Thanks, 

Thursday, October 13, 2011 8:33 PM

Answers

• You are exactly right.

I found a workaround with human decision, which is my case.

My users often know they get a revised file with a different name from their clients through email attachment.

Save as  into the document library solves this problem. I am new to my current job. So my co-workers basically did not know "Save AS" in Outlook; and did not know they can save to a sharepoint doc lib directly without saving to a local drive and then uploading...

Actually I just found more cool features from office 2010 suite with sharepoint 2010: co-authoring is the one making my day shine...

thanks,

• Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Monday, October 24, 2011 6:27 AM
    Friday, October 21, 2011 8:43 PM

All replies

• Computers aren't very smart, until you make them that way.  So, add a field to your doclib, call it Parent, use to alert SHPT to do your bidding.  Upon entry of the new doc, if the user populates the parent field, then in the OnChange workflow for the list, you can create a new list item for the list, which can overwrite the parent document.

Steve Clark, MCTS | Twin-Soft.com
    Friday, October 21, 2011 3:11 PM
  • You are exactly right.

I found a workaround with human decision, which is my case.

My users often know they get a revised file with a different name from their clients through email attachment.

Save as  into the document library solves this problem. I am new to my current job. So my co-workers basically did not know "Save AS" in Outlook; and did not know they can save to a sharepoint doc lib directly without saving to a local drive and then uploading...

Actually I just found more cool features from office 2010 suite with sharepoint 2010: co-authoring is the one making my day shine...

thanks,

• Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Monday, October 24, 2011 6:27 AM
    Friday, October 21, 2011 8:43 PM