none
General Windows 10 license inquiry - 2 parts RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings community - Small IT business owner here. I have several computers at different physical locations that need to be upgraded from 7 to 10.  I am having the hardest time getting help from MS over the phone. The scheduled call backs don't happen. As far as licensing goes, what is the best option to upgrade say 30 or 40 computers at different locations? I have read some about volume licensing but can't get a straight answer. If I have to do volume licensing, can I add machines on the fly or do I have know the exact amount from the beginning. I'm still getting calls about upgrades. YIKES!!

Also, I had a Win 7 home box in my shop that I upgraded to 10 Home using the media creation tool I downloaded in 2017. Win 7 was activated before the upgrade and now Windows 10 is activated post upgrade. Have I broken a rule? I didn't have to buy anything. I wonder does the same apply to 10 Pro? I want to stay legit for my client's business computers.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can straighten me out.

Bryan
    FYIPC

Thursday, October 17, 2019 9:53 PM

All replies

• Hi Bryan,

For volume license, there is no need to know the exact client amount as we could add client after complete volume license environment or buy volume license key. But the range is necessary for purchasing volume license as different range with different price.  For details we could contact with Volume Licensing Service Center support. For volume license, we have 2 choices which is KMS and MAK both could activate clients and servers with different physical location. But as your environment has 30 or 40 computers, we recommend to use MAK. 

For more information, please refer the following link:

Product activation and key information

Did you upgrade this Windows 7 machine to Windows 10 before?

As Windows 10 has a free upgrade which end at December 31, 2017. So I think your computer activation automatically is related with this policy. During this time, all upgrade activation is automatically and legit no matter Windows 10 home or Pro. But for now, we should buy Windows 10 professional key for upgrading to Windows 10 Pro.

If you have any other confuse, please reply to us directly.

Bests,  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 18, 2019 2:14 AM
  • Hi Bryan, 

Any update?

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 21, 2019 10:59 AM
  • Thank you for the informative reply.

I will be upgrading several offices at different locations. Each averaging about 5 to 7 computers each. I will also be upgrading some home users. Sounds like I would need the MAK license. My only reason for inquiring about volume license is to save some money. I will ask my Dell rep to help out.

No, the machine I mentioned had not previously been upgraded to Win 10. The first time was at the time of my original posting here in the forum. October of 2019. It still says it's activated. I'm not sure if I'm legit here or not. You'd think there would be a flag somewhere.

Thanks again,

Bryan
    FYIPC

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 4:32 PM
  • Hi Bryan, 

Thank you for your feedback. 

If you downloaded the media creation tool from Microsoft website and not use any third party software during upgrade, we would regarded as a valid system as the activation status shows activated. If not, it should show as no activated or invalid. But for the reason, I also think it would be related with this media creation tool. 

If you have any confuse, please contact us at any time.

Bests, 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 6:58 AM
  • Well, I finally gave up on volume licensing. Too much phone tag and escalations that seem to really happen. I instead use the Dell website to get 10 pro keys as a slight discount. I still don't understand the activation situation though. I've upgraded 9 computers from 7 pro to 10 pro. Upon completion of the upgrade, the status is always "Activated". So I'm plugging in purchased license keys to activate systems that are already activated. Makes sense.

What I was told on another MS forum -
    "Hi, I'm David an independent advisor and user just like you. I'll try and help you solve this problem.
    I can answer part of your query - you can still upgrade from a Windows 7 (or 8) install to Windows 10 using the media creation tool as you describe. This works for Home and Pro version of Windows. Provided the computer is activated/licensed before you start the license will be converted to a Windows 10 digital license automatically.
    Of course this depends on whether the computers are suitable for running Windows 10 and will take some time to upgrade the number of machine you mention one by one!"

Then he says -

"Bryan - it's been pointed out to me that while activating a Windows 10 upgrade in the way I describe may work the resulting upgrade is not considered legally licensed. Considering you are looking at a large number of PCs in a business environment I would therefore not recommend this course of action. I'll release the question now in the hope another person can help you further"

Thank you to all who have chimed in on this.
    B

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 7:04 PM