none
Exporting from SharePoint Services to Excel

    Question

  •  

    Hello all,

    I recently implemented a Windows Small Business Server 2003 with little to no issues; however, I am having one issue that I cannot resolve. None of my client (Win XP Pro) computers can use Office 2007 or 2003 applications with the SharePoint export or import functionality. While in SharePoint, when I try to use the export to Excel function the following happens:

    Verifying Owssvr.dll from "my server’s name"

    After a second or so I receive a message saying: Cannot connect to server at this time.

    I verified that the SharePoint service is installed for the Office apps.

    I also registered the Owssvr.dll.

    Can anyone tell me what I am not doing correctly?

    Thanks,
    Gunny Hunter

    • Edited by Gunny Hunter Thursday, July 31, 2008 8:48 PM Correction
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 7:40 PM

Answers

  • Do you have anonymous access enabled?  If so, there is a knowledge base article that you may find very helpful: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838703

    "This problem occurs because of an issue between Windows SharePoint Services and Excel that prevents the Excel spreadsheet from being imported correctly to Windows SharePoint Services when you create a new list. This problem may occur if the Web site is configured to use Anonymous access."

    I have also experienced similar problems from client computers that had a mix of Office 2003 / Office 2007 products installed.  If I was using a pure Office 2003 machine with no Office 2007 components ever installed, everything seemed to work great. As soon as I installed an Office 2007 product, it updated the file EXPTOOWS.XLA and now SharePoint was being directed to use the IOWSPostData.Post() method rather than SOAP, and the connection fails.  I followed this blog to resolve that: http://www.sharepointblogs.com/spfromscratch/archive/2008/04/15/importing-a-spreadsheet.aspx

    Hope this helps.
    Sunday, August 03, 2008 5:32 AM
  • If it's not the first option you (David) give, Gunny probably needs to be aware that that mix of Office 2003/ Office 2007 products could be caused by products which she/he doesn't directly associate with Office - such as SPD 2007; Visio 2007 or OneNote 2007.

    (I.e it's sometimes useful to talk of Office 2007 level products ...)

    Sunday, August 03, 2008 7:58 AM

All replies

  • Do you have anonymous access enabled?  If so, there is a knowledge base article that you may find very helpful: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838703

    "This problem occurs because of an issue between Windows SharePoint Services and Excel that prevents the Excel spreadsheet from being imported correctly to Windows SharePoint Services when you create a new list. This problem may occur if the Web site is configured to use Anonymous access."

    I have also experienced similar problems from client computers that had a mix of Office 2003 / Office 2007 products installed.  If I was using a pure Office 2003 machine with no Office 2007 components ever installed, everything seemed to work great. As soon as I installed an Office 2007 product, it updated the file EXPTOOWS.XLA and now SharePoint was being directed to use the IOWSPostData.Post() method rather than SOAP, and the connection fails.  I followed this blog to resolve that: http://www.sharepointblogs.com/spfromscratch/archive/2008/04/15/importing-a-spreadsheet.aspx

    Hope this helps.
    Sunday, August 03, 2008 5:32 AM
  • If it's not the first option you (David) give, Gunny probably needs to be aware that that mix of Office 2003/ Office 2007 products could be caused by products which she/he doesn't directly associate with Office - such as SPD 2007; Visio 2007 or OneNote 2007.

    (I.e it's sometimes useful to talk of Office 2007 level products ...)

    Sunday, August 03, 2008 7:58 AM
  •  David,

    That worked!

    Thanks!!!
    Monday, August 04, 2008 2:23 PM