none
Azure File Sync - Server 2019 - Cloud Tiering not working on Deduplication Volume

Question

• We have a file server running Server 2019 Standard with GUI and the Azure File Sync Agent version 6.1. The data drive is set with deduplication enabled and it contains an Azure File Share with the Cloud Tiering enabled in the sync group server end point settings. 

The server was in place upgraded from Server 2012 R2 with deduplication and Azure File Sync enabled, but cloud tiering not turned on before the upgrade.

After the upgrade was complete Cloud Tiering was set to keep 90% of the drive free and cache everything that's not been accessed or modified in more than 1 day but no tiering appears to be happening. 

The file sync agent log event 6004 is showing that all files are being skipped due to unsupported reparse point.

Any suggestions on how to get tiering working without disabling deduplication and re-inflating the volume?

Monday, May 20, 2019 9:59 AM

All replies

• What specific Sync Agent version are you currently using ?
    Monday, May 20, 2019 6:48 PM
    Tuesday, May 21, 2019 9:15 AM
  • I just checked with the Service team, they mentioned a restart is required in order to be able to get tiering to work. Could you try a quick reboot on the server and check again ?
    Tuesday, May 21, 2019 8:20 PM
  • The server has been rebooted a number of times. I'm still seeing no tiering, and the events are the same.

Log Name:      Microsoft-FileSync-Agent/Operational
    Source:        Microsoft-FileSync-Agent
    Date:          22/05/2019 09:02:23
    Event ID:      6004
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      ---
    Description:
    Ghosting Volume Session: SessionID: {----}, ThreadID: 5204 - Ghosting completed on volume: {---} (Free space percent is : 67, Min free space percentage to start : 90, Max free space percent to stop : 95, Space recovered in MB : 0, Number of server endpoints processed: 1, Number of server endpoints skipped: 0, Number of files ghosted in session: 0, Number of files failed to ghost : 0, Number of files skipped by size or already ghosted : 0, Number of files skipped by age : 0, Number of files skipped due to unsupported reparse point : 7082, Number of dedup reparse points skipped: 7082, Number of files failed to ghost due to stable version failure: 0, Number of files iterated:7082, FileIteratorType : HEATSTORE_ITERATOR, DurationSeconds: 422, Policy Type: SPACEPOLICY, Volume Dedup Enabled: false, Performed Dedup GC: false, Last Dedup GC Result: 0, Time spent on Dedup GC: 0 seconds)

I've cleared out the GUIDs and server name etc. in an excess of paranoia. 

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 8:22 AM
  • If you have a support plan, could you create a ticket here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-supportability/how-to-create-azure-support-request 

Then provide us with the ticket number ? else, Could you please reach to me via AZCommunity[AT]microsoft.com with a link to this Issue as well as your subscription ID and we can help get a support ticket opened for this issue. Please mention "ATTN Adam" in the subject field.

Please post a confirmation here so I can follow up on the issue.

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 7:40 PM