none
SharePoint 2013 My Site Newsfeed Posts Disappear RRS feed

• Question

• I have found that posts in my Followed newsfeed on My Site disappear after about 2 weeks even if I don't have 10 posts. If I go to the site where the post was made I can see them there, they just disappear from my My Site newsfeed. Old Feeds appear in my Mentions Feed and in my Activities Feed under about me, it seems to just be the Following Feed. If I click the Show More Posts link no extra posts are displayed. Is this by design or is there a setting somewhere that can change how long posts appear in your My Site Following Newsfeed? I'm not sure if this has to do with the AppFabric Caching Service or not.
    Thanks

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 4:52 PM

Answers

• A second concern when cached data in SharePoint is lost is that some items in SharePoint are *only* stored in the cache; specifically, updates regarding followed documents are only stored in the cache (as of March 2013). If these cached items are lost they won’t be able to be regenerated and will no longer appear in users’ feeds.

To avoid losing items from the cache and/or having to retrieve them again, you can use the Stop-SPDistributedCacheServiceInstance cmdlet with the -Graceful switch. This will move all cached items from the local cache host to other cache hosts in the cluster.

from http://blogs.msdn.com/b/besidethepoint/archive/2013/03/27/appfabric-caching-and-sharepoint-2.aspx

• Marked as answer by GuYuming Monday, May 6, 2013 3:47 AM
    Thursday, May 2, 2013 9:39 AM
  • They are removed after 14 days. This is built into the feeds and normal. However they are moved to a second list not deleted in 2013 and they should load when you click to "View more activity".

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219766.aspx
    • Marked as answer by jtereba Wednesday, June 5, 2013 7:38 PM
    Monday, May 20, 2013 10:40 AM
  • So if a reboot or iisreset is performed and the distributed cache is flushed then all followed newsfeeds are removed? To prevent this from being lost we would neet to stop SPDistributedCacheServiceInstance with the -Graceful Switch and then perform the reset? It looks like in the article you referenced that the TimeToLive for Activity feed is set at 168 hours or 7 days. I suppose that the Activity Feed is only stored in cache and therefore has an expiration so as to not fill up memory.
    • Edited by jtereba Thursday, May 2, 2013 4:28 PM
    Thursday, May 2, 2013 4:23 PM

All replies

• A second concern when cached data in SharePoint is lost is that some items in SharePoint are *only* stored in the cache; specifically, updates regarding followed documents are only stored in the cache (as of March 2013). If these cached items are lost they won’t be able to be regenerated and will no longer appear in users’ feeds.

To avoid losing items from the cache and/or having to retrieve them again, you can use the Stop-SPDistributedCacheServiceInstance cmdlet with the -Graceful switch. This will move all cached items from the local cache host to other cache hosts in the cluster.

from http://blogs.msdn.com/b/besidethepoint/archive/2013/03/27/appfabric-caching-and-sharepoint-2.aspx

Thursday, May 2, 2013 9:39 AM
  • So if a reboot or iisreset is performed and the distributed cache is flushed then all followed newsfeeds are removed? To prevent this from being lost we would neet to stop SPDistributedCacheServiceInstance with the -Graceful Switch and then perform the reset? It looks like in the article you referenced that the TimeToLive for Activity feed is set at 168 hours or 7 days. I suppose that the Activity Feed is only stored in cache and therefore has an expiration so as to not fill up memory.
    • Edited by jtereba Thursday, May 2, 2013 4:28 PM
    Thursday, May 2, 2013 4:23 PM
  • They are removed after 14 days. This is built into the feeds and normal. However they are moved to a second list not deleted in 2013 and they should load when you click to "View more activity".

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219766.aspx
    • Marked as answer by jtereba Wednesday, June 5, 2013 7:38 PM
    Monday, May 20, 2013 10:40 AM
  • I was able to regenerate the feeds through powershell commands.

My objective was to keep 60 days worth and have the oldest days worth drop off nightly.

Step 1: Get the profile proxy value

get-spserviceapplicationproxy

copy the UserProfile string

Step 2: Update the cache values

$upa = Get-SPServiceApplication | where {$_.TypeName -Like "User Profile Service Application"}
    $upa.FeedCacheTTLHours = 1440
    $upa.FeedCacheLastModifiedTimeTtlDeltaHours=1440
    $upa.FeedCacheObjectCountLimit=5000
    $upa.FeedCacheRoomForGrowth=2000
    $upa.Update()

Step 3: Update someone's feed cache

Oddly if you do one it seems to do them all

Update-SPRepopulateMicroblogFeedCache -accountname "*YourDomainHere*\andrew.chambers" -ProfileServiceApplicationProxy 13342e8f-925b-46bc-b10d-9a5aeb456a50

Step 4: Make sure the news feed cleanup job is set to run daily

Change the View filter to Service

On the 'Service' dropdown choose 'User Profile Service'

from the pop-up choose ''User Profile Service Application - Activity Feed Cleanup Job" and make sure its set to daily

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 5:42 PM
  • I am also facing same issue in SharePoint 2013 site. When I make any change in the List Items or in the Page contents, the SiteMapNodeCollection returns 0 items from GetCachedListItemsByQuery() method. It returns correct no. of items after IISReset or if flush the cache from Central Admin. Below is the code for your reference.

Is there any permanent solution of this issue?

PortalSiteMapProvider psProvider = PortalSiteMapProvider.WebSiteMapProvider;
    PortalWebSiteMapNode pNode = psProvider.FindSiteMapNode(spWeb.ServerRelativeUrl) as PortalWebSiteMapNode;
    SiteMapNodeCollection smnColl = psProvider.GetCachedListItemsByQuery(pNode, this.ListName, curQry, spWeb);

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 12:00 PM
  • Looking at your link, i can't find any Information about Feeds beeing moved after 14 Days. All i could find is that Feeds are persistent and won't be deleted/remove after 14 Days like SharePoint 2010 did.

This means that activities are persisted indefinitely and no longer limited to 14 days as in SharePoint Server 2010.

Since im looking for vaild Information about how Long a Newsfeed entry is shown, could you point me to that part.

All i found is that you'll see 20 Feeds which are queried from the Distributed Activity Cache Feed LMT (Last Modified Time) and the amount of Feeds inside that Cache depend on -  if your Distributed Cache Host didn't reach the High Watermark for Used Memory and allready evicted feeds. The Distributed Activity Cache Feed LMT is only hosted by one of your Distributed Cache Servers.

• Edited by CHannappel Wednesday, May 11, 2016 2:32 PM Typo
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 2:32 PM
  • Every time I install SharePoint CUs I ran into the problem that the existing feeds of the teamsites are not displayed on the MySiteHost.

Meanwhile I have 4 scripts to fix the feed, but no of these is working for me.

I also had 3 Microsoft Calls without any solution.

If anyone can help me, please update this blog.

Thanks a lot.

$sites = Get-SPSite -WebApplication https://teamsites -limit ALL foreach ($site in $sites) { Write-Host “Repopulating $site” Update-SPRepopulateMicroblogFeedCache -ProfileServiceApplicationProxy $appProxy -SiteUrl $site.url -Verbose } 

Posts on existing or new teamsites created after the CU updates are displayed immediately.

Sunday, July 17, 2016 8:35 PM