none
can't connect to database

Question

• Hi all,

i tried connecting to a database in Sharepoint Designer, but keep getting various errors...

1. when i type in my servername in form of "ABC\XYZ" and my username and password, i got:
    "Server error: an error occurred while retrieving the list of Database from ABC\XYZ: An authentication error occurred. Your logon information may be incorrectly entered, you may not have permission to access this data source, or the requested authentication method may not be supported. Contact the server administrator for more information."

2. when i type in my servername in form of just "ABC" and my username and password, i got:
    "Server error: an error occurred while retrieving the list of Database from ABC: The data retrieval service encountered an error during connection to the data source. Contact the server administrator for more information."

3. when i type in a connection string, i got:
    "Server error: an error occurred while retrieving the list of Database from ABC: The web server cannot connect to the specified data source because the query may contain errors, the data source may be unavailable or configured improperly, or your Web site is behind a proxy server or firewall.

If your Web site is behind a proxy server or firewall, verify that your server administrator has configured the Data Retrieval Services HTTP proxy server setting for Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services."

Tired everything, but keep getting all kind of error. the database was connected to Visual Studio perfectly fine. Any help or suggestions?

Thanks
    Michael
    Friday, June 15, 2007 3:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Michael

Your describing the same issue I'm currently dealing with.
    Do you have SQL Server 2005 Embedded Edition (MICROSOFT##SSEE) installed?

Dean
    Monday, June 18, 2007 4:49 PM
  • Hi

i have SQL Server 2005 Express Edition installed

Thanks
    Monday, June 18, 2007 5:15 PM
  • Does anyone know the name service or Port # the Data Retrieval Services uses

Dean
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 4:40 PM
  • I don't know to which extend this applies, Dean, but I've heard that SQL Server Embedded Edition does not support external access (understand anything but from SharePoint itself).
    I had tried for example using SQL Server Management Studio Express, and it failed to find at authenticating.

As for Express Edition, I guess it is supposed to work... but personally, it looks to limited for us with its 4GB database limit.

Unless you need your SQL Server for other applications, you might want to try Embedded Edition which seems to be more optimized for SharePoint.
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:08 PM
  • Thanks Ichungue

I have SQL Server Embedded Edition Installed.  I think ? It was a default Database installed with Sharepoint Service 3.  Does anyone know why then can't I connect using Sharepoint Designer 2007 I get this error

"Server Error occured while retrieving the list of Databases from <Server>: The data retrieval service encountered an error during connection top data source". Contact the sever administrator for more information."

I have the data retrieval service enable within the SharePoint 3.0 Central Administration.
    Is there any other setup required to be able connect to this database. I want to Start creating my our Web parts and Data views.

Any Help would be Great!!!!!!

Dean

Thursday, June 21, 2007 7:14 PM
  • i still can't figure out how to get it working..
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 5:04 PM
  • I'm In the same  predicament as well.  Can someone please help!!!!!!!

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 5:38 PM
  • I came accross the same issue, and unfortunetaly i had to reinstall the applications (SQL and MOSS)

The good part is that i made a backup of my database, and restored it immediataly.

I believe this either has something to do with a service not running, or a service pack (MOSS) that you may need to download from the microsoft website.

Hope this helps!

-LuIIS

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 1:59 AM
  • which service or service pack? i looked for those, but still stuck.. thanks
    Thursday, July 19, 2007 1:21 PM
  • Hello dean,

I am currently encounterring a problem similar to yours, I just wnt to know what steps did you do to solve it.
    Basically, I have a same setup with you.

Rerards,
    Adrian
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 3:01 AM
  •  

What are you trying to accomplish?  You should not use the database installed by SharePoint as your personal application database, nor should you use the database to get SharePoint content.  Try using SharePoint web services, or the DataView webparts.
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 3:12 AM
  • We'll actually this is what im trying to do.... these steps are written in the book ----
    Microsoft SharePoint Building Office 2007 Solutions in C Sharp

I am trying to create a webpage that has a data view.
    I have sharepoint office in my box and a MS SQL Server ( The one that is default in installing MOSS - Embedded Engine Edition) SQL Server 2005 Embedded Edition (Microsoft##SEEE)

I have the same problem with Dean Maher...

To add a database connection, follow these steps:
    1. Place your cursor in the main body of the page you created earlier.
    2. From the SharePoint Designer main menu, select Data View ä Insert Data View to
    open the Data Source Library pane.
    3. In the Data Source Library, expand the Database Connections node.
    4. Click the Connect to a Database link just beneath the node to open the Data Source
    Properties dialog.
    5. Click the General tab, and name the connection Site Map.
    6. On the Source tab, click the Configure Database Connection button.
    7. In the Configure Database Connection dialog, check the box labeled Use Custom
    Connection String and click the Edit button.
    8. In the Connection String dialog, enter Integrated Security=SSPI ;Persist Security
    Info=False;Data Source=VSSQL;.

I Changed  the data source  to SQL SERVER 2005 Embedded Edition(MIcrosoft##SSEE) , I even try possible data source. but the result is:

Server Error occured while retrieving the list of Databases from <Server>: The data retrieval service encountered an error during connection top data source". Contact the sever administrator for more information."

9. Click the OK button.
    10. Click Next.
    11. On the next step, select a database and table from the list (I used the Names database
    from the Business Data Catalog examples in Chapter 4).
    12. Click Finish.
    13. On the Source tab, click Fields.
    14. In the Displayed Fields dialog, remove any fields you do not want displayed and click
    OK.
    15. On the Source tab, click Sort.
    16. In the Sort dialog, select Sort the Fields By and click OK.
    17. In the Data Source Properties dialog, click OK to complete the definition of the new
    data source.

Friday, July 27, 2007 2:15 AM
  • By default SQL server doesn't allow remote connections (port 1433 is not listening for your Data View).  You will have to install SQL Express, or link to a different database server instance.  It's not that you can't connect to the local instance SharePoint installed...it's that you shouldn't, and probably aren't licensed to.

Friday, July 27, 2007 2:21 AM
  • By default SQL server doesn't allow remote connections (port 1433 is not listening for your Data View).  You will have to install SQL Express, or link to a different database server instance.  It's not that you can't connect to the local instance SharePoint installed...it's that you shouldn't, and probably aren't licensed to.

So i have to install SQL Express.

Note: I had a default installation architecture of the sharepoint 2007,

Meaning one server for all.... SQL Server and Sharepoint.

I already have the administrator rights to my PC.

Friday, July 27, 2007 9:31 AM
  • That's fine, you can still install SQL Express with Advanced Services and use both.  Use the MOSS 2007 database only for the SharePoint content, and use your new instance only for your application data.

Do some performance counters and verify your server is up to the job of these multiple roles before you do too much work, though.

Friday, July 27, 2007 10:18 AM
  • thanks for your reply! can you please ellaborate. thanks.
    Friday, August 03, 2007 10:16 AM
  • Dears,

Are you find a soulation for connection to database from sharepoint designer problem????

thanks

Qassem

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 8:51 AM
  • I have the same symptoms. I am running on 2008 Server with 2008 SQL Server emulating 2005 Server. I installed SharePoint Services 3.0 and Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer. All is well.

Then I try the first excercise in the training course which is create a data view. After the page is created the next step is to add a database connection. I get the same errors. I have enabled everyform of communications except VIA.

I have tried using windows credentials and SQL Server credentials, I can connect to the SQL database using windows credentials and SQL Server Management Studio, but not using SharePoint Designer. The machine is standalone and not part of a domain, there is no active directory.

I hope someone finds a solution and shares it.

Thanks,

Len

Friday, April 25, 2008 3:15 PM
  • Any solutions guys to this problem?

All the best
    Tuesday, November 04, 2008 11:20 AM
  •  Instead of replying to a long, often pointless (many bumps) and very old thread, post a new thread ! That gives you the possibility to give a better title such as "Why can't I connect to the SP database when using SPD 2007?".   (I'm sure you can think of an even better title ....)  You can also describe exactly *your* problem in the text.

By the way, if you do so, post it to the Design and Customization forum which is for SPD 2007 questions.
    Tuesday, November 04, 2008 4:00 PM
  • Will do. I just assumed that the less duplication of questions the better but maybe not :)
    Monday, November 10, 2008 3:23 PM
  • Hi all,

i tried connecting to a database in Sharepoint Designer, but keep getting various errors...

1. when i type in my servername in form of "ABC\XYZ" and my username and password, i got:
    "Server error: an error occurred while retrieving the list of Database from ABC\XYZ: An authentication error occurred. Your logon information may be incorrectly entered, you may not have permission to access this data source, or the requested authentication method may not be supported. Contact the server administrator for more information."

2. when i type in my servername in form of just "ABC" and my username and password, i got:
    "Server error: an error occurred while retrieving the list of Database from ABC: The data retrieval service encountered an error during connection to the data source. Contact the server administrator for more information."

3. when i type in a connection string, i got:
    "Server error: an error occurred while retrieving the list of Database from ABC: The web server cannot connect to the specified data source because the query may contain errors, the data source may be unavailable or configured improperly, or your Web site is behind a proxy server or firewall.

If your Web site is behind a proxy server or firewall, verify that your server administrator has configured the Data Retrieval Services HTTP proxy server setting for Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services."

Tired everything, but keep getting all kind of error. the database was connected to Visual Studio perfectly fine. Any help or suggestions?

Thanks
    Michael

my server name is MOSS and sql server installed as windows aunthatication mode to connect the database in desiginer i click on database connection i give the server name like MOSS\SQLEXPRESS and in username i gave sa and password is pass@word1 which is changed my me in sqlserver 2005
    Monday, August 03, 2009 3:19 PM