none
Logical Disk performance collection issue for agents for Instance: _Total RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have below rule configured in SCOM to gather the performance data from agents.

RuleName: Logical Disk Free Megabytes Windows Server 2012

Object: LogicalDisk

CounterName: %Free Space

Instance: _Total, C, D

I'm seeing the performance data for C and D drives but _Total instance data is not coming up with respect to counters.

Please note that I have set the frequency for every 15 mins. Max Sample Seperation value is set to 1 and Tolerance is set to Zero. This stats that performance should be collected in every 15 mins. I'm getting the data for C & D drives but not receiving any data for _Total.

Can someone explain me on this.

Thanks,

Ramu Chittiprolu

Saturday, October 5, 2019 8:07 AM

All replies

• Hello Ramu,

The total disk space is not something you will find in a performance monitor, because the value of this doesn’t move up or down.

This has been well described by Bob in the following thread:

Can we collect Logical Disk's total space

Best regards,

Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Saturday, October 5, 2019 9:29 AM
  • I'm looking at the performance counters from OperationsManager database for one of our agent.

I got the below as LogicalDisk _Total value. Does it mean that below value is sum of sytem and non-system drives total value ?

DisplayName      ObjectName   CounterName   InstanceName   SampleValue             TimeSampled
    XXXXX.com LogicalDisk      % Free Space   _Total             69.0728149414063       2019-10-05 10:54:45.000

If that is the i'm seeing this value for few agents and not for all. Any root cause for this ?

Saturday, October 5, 2019 11:01 AM
  • If you select Total instance, when calculating the _Total instance, the %Free Space counters recalculate the sum as a percentage for each disk.

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Saturday, October 5, 2019 11:08 AM
  • Hello Ramu,

For the  _Total, my understanding is the same as yours and leon's. It is the sum as a percentage for each system and non-system drivers. And for the issue you mentioned, we can only see the value for a few agents.  Just want to confirm if we enable the “Logical disk Free Space Monitor” for all the agents?

If there’s any update, please let us know.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Best regards.

Crystal

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 7, 2019 2:58 AM
  • Hello Ramu,

How's everything going? Is there any update on our issue? if yes, feel free to let us know. Thanks and have a nice day!

Best regards.

Crystal

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 10, 2019 9:36 AM
  • Hi Crystal,

I have written the below query from OperationsManagerDB to look for the value of Instance: _Total for %Free Space. I have around 2k servers and polling is configured for 15 mins for all the servers. However, I get the data only for 300 servers. This is the issue. Why data is not coming up for all my servers.

SELECT Path,
             DisplayName,
             ObjectName,
             CounterName,
             InstanceName,
             SampleValue,
             TimeSampled
    FROM 
        (SELECT DISTINCT bme.Path ,
             bme.DisplayName,
             pcv.ObjectName,
             pcv.CounterName,
             pcv.InstanceName,
             pdv.SampleValue,
             max(pdv.TimeSampled) AS TimeSampled,
             ROW_NUMBER()
            OVER (PARTITION BY bme.Path
        ORDER BY  pdv.TimeSampled DESC) DispCount
        FROM PerformanceDataAllView pdv
        WITH (NOLOCK)
        INNER JOIN PerformanceCounterView pcv
            ON pdv.performancesourceinternalid = pcv.performancesourceinternalid
        INNER JOIN BaseManagedEntity bme
            ON pcv.ManagedEntityId = bme.BaseManagedEntityId
        WHERE objectname IN ('LogicalDisk')
                AND TimeSampled >= DATEADD(MINUTE,-15,GETDATE())
                AND CounterName like '% Free Space'
    AND InstanceName='_Total'
                AND Path LIKE '%'
        GROUP BY  bme.Path, bme.DisplayName, pcv.ObjectName, pcv.CounterName, pcv.InstanceName, pdv.SampleValue,pdv.TimeSampled ) s
    WHERE s.DispCount = 1
    ORDER BY  TimeSampled DESC

Thanks,

Ramu Chittiprolu

Thursday, October 10, 2019 9:52 AM
  • Hi Ramu,

From the SQL query, I found there’s some filter such as “WHERE s.DispCount = 1”  which may reduce the data. Could you remove this filter to see if more data we will get.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Best regards.

Crystal

Friday, October 11, 2019 8:50 AM
  • Hi Ramu,

How's everything going? if there's any update, please let us know.

best regards.

Crystal

Thursday, October 17, 2019 5:50 AM