none
Restore all closed webparts at once???

Question

• Hi,

At times, I can have a lot of webparts in the closed webpart section of a sharepoint page...i know how to restore them one at a time manually...but is there any way to restore them all at once???

Thanks for any help...
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 10:22 AM

Answers

• What version of sharepoint are you using? 
    The only GUI that I'm aware of is the same one you are using. Advanced web part gallery, closed web parts, drag and drop back into place.

Alternately you could use the Sharepoint Designer functionality.

As far as the logs are concerned.  You could design an event handler that watched for changes to Sharepoint.  Also, you could check just the server's event logs rather than the sharepoint logs.  I've usually found that if there is any problem at all with a webpart, it fires multiple error messages to my application logs.

Considering that those web part values are stored on your SQL server, I'd also check the event logs there.  double check the timing of ANY jobs running on your SQL Server to see what might be bumping heads with your webpart table.

I'd also recommend creating a second top level web app, using the same type of publishing template you are currently using.  See if that one blows up at the same time as the other.  If it does, then I'd say the error was specific to that template.  If it doesn't, its something specific to your current web app.  It'll help narrow down the search anyway.  And let your bosses know that you are working on it! :)
    Jack Burnish
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 2:26 PM

All replies

•  Well, yes, there is.  You can spend the time to write some code that opens that page, gets the webpart ID's for each item on the page, then loop through to see which ones are set as 'closed'  then change them to 'open'. 

Are you doing this often enough to make it worth the time?  And how are they ending up 'closed' in the first place?  The reason I ask is to see if its an education of your users issue, or a constant reconfigure of the page.
    Jack Burnish
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 1:01 PM
  • I was hopin there was a GUI that would allow this...rather than the prog route.

Its happening once or twice a month...its a really annoying problem that i cant seem to find the cause of.  Every so often the webparts on the homepage, of which there are about 20, disappear to the closed webparts section.  I have posted before about it and other users have come across the issue.  I am using the publishing template.

One person suggested it was to do with backups and SQL Server causin disk space issues...but after many changes...that can not be causing the issue.  The logs tell me nothing.

So i am left with a home page where the webparts disappear 1-2 a month and have to be restored.  I figured at this stage if ther was a quick way to restore them all...and then manually move them about...all wouldnt be too bad.  But looks like no.

If there is anyone from MS checkin this...i would like to point out that it is very annoying that an error/warning message isnt written to logs when webparts are suddenly moved to closed section.   

Thanks for feedback...
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 1:15 PM
  • What version of sharepoint are you using? 
    The only GUI that I'm aware of is the same one you are using. Advanced web part gallery, closed web parts, drag and drop back into place.

Alternately you could use the Sharepoint Designer functionality.

As far as the logs are concerned.  You could design an event handler that watched for changes to Sharepoint.  Also, you could check just the server's event logs rather than the sharepoint logs.  I've usually found that if there is any problem at all with a webpart, it fires multiple error messages to my application logs.

Considering that those web part values are stored on your SQL server, I'd also check the event logs there.  double check the timing of ANY jobs running on your SQL Server to see what might be bumping heads with your webpart table.

I'd also recommend creating a second top level web app, using the same type of publishing template you are currently using.  See if that one blows up at the same time as the other.  If it does, then I'd say the error was specific to that template.  If it doesn't, its something specific to your current web app.  It'll help narrow down the search anyway.  And let your bosses know that you are working on it! :)
    Jack Burnish
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 2:26 PM