sites and subsites permissions (links) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I would like to have a link in the left menu of the main site to a subsite.

The main site is anonymous access and the subsite should not.

IF subsite inherits permissions from main site the link is shown, if I remove the anonymous access from the subsite, the link on the main site is not shown to people.

The only way I found to show the link to everybody and when someone clicks ask for authentication is to NOT break security inheritance but change the security setting of the startpage of the subsite.

Should be another better way, sure.

Thanks

SUMMARY:

can be a link anonymous shown on an Anonymous access SharePoint page link to a sub-site that is not anonymous allowed?

• Edited by JLSF Wednesday, February 6, 2013 5:24 PM
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 10:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can break inheritance and so that you have the correct security and SharePoint will security trim the link to the subsite. To modify this behavior for this link, after you have removed anonymous go to Site Settings > Navigation > Add a Link under Current Navigation. You should also hide the exiting Link or the users with Access to the subsite will see two links, the one that is displayed automatically and the other that you just added..

Note: Typically we want Security Trimming to take place and hide lists, sites, libraries etc from users that do not have access to them. However, I understand there are always cases that do not fit inside the box and SharePoint is more than flexible enough to handle these..

-Ivan

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn , My Blog, @iasanders, BI in SP2013, SP2013 Content Packs.

Thursday, February 7, 2013 5:49 PM
  • Hello

Thanks for your reply... i miss to tell that i´m using SharePoint 2013 foundation so i thought that your answer applies to SharePoint 2013 with the publishing template only? 

Thanks

Friday, February 8, 2013 8:42 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, however I don't use Foundation (SPF) very often and have never had a client request for it to be deployed. However, I am still certified in WSS and SPF.

Site navigation features include the Quick Launch and top link bar. They make it easier for the users of your site to find the information they need. Making the information in your site easier to find is a key to the success of your site. There are many different ways that you can configure navigation for your site. This article provides information about adding items to and removing items from the Quick Launch and top link bar. It also describes how to display the tree view to show the contents and hierarchy of the site. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-foundation-help/configure-site-navigation-HA102094268.aspx#_Toc278873846

Please let me know if this answers your questions or you would like more information

-Ivan

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn , My Blog, @iasanders, BI in SP2013, SP2013 Content Packs.

Saturday, February 9, 2013 8:22 AM