none
Can i safely stop the server service to temporally disable access to shares with DFS shares RRS feed

• Question

• We are running a script to find a user profile, rename it and also rename the username. This works fine as long as there are no locks on the file server. As we use roaming profiles, the plan is to ask everyone to log off. During testing if a pc is locked and not shut down, the locks are immediately re created. 

The script is running out of business hours, but to be sure i want to remove all locks. I will manually stop them all, but in case their are pc's on the network that have not been shutdown or properly or logged out i was going to stop the "server" service that i have read will stop shares. As these shares are part of a DFS membership, will this still be OK. We have a two way share.

I will be suspending the replication group for 5 mins also as part of the script.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 11:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my understanding , you want to shut down some servers which hold the dfs folder targets  when out of business hours.If i misunderstand you ,please let me know.

From what i known , if you server start working on the working hours again ,the DFS shares will be also accessed. It won't cause much problems.

But for a safe reason , i would recommend you done a test on the lab environment.

Best Regards,

Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, November 15, 2019 7:08 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 8:35 AM
  • Hi,

How is your situation ?

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Fan

Thursday, November 21, 2019 1:32 AM