none
DPM deduplication on standalone Hyper-V machine RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we've been (mostly) following this article to set up deduplication for DPM, adapted for

standalone machines. The article also contains instructions to set a few registry values:

Set-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\Cluster\Dedup -Name DeepGCInterval -Value 0xFFFFFFFF

Set-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\Cluster\Dedup -Name HashIndexFullKeyReservationPercent -Value 70

Set-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\Cluster\Dedup -Name EnablePriorityOptimization -Value 1

Trouble is, "HKLM:\Cluster" doesn't exist when you don't have a cluster. Searching

the web for the settings' names showed me a few people who seem to have a similar

problem, but no definitive solution, only a guess.

"DeepGCInterval" is the only setting that appears in a Microsoft document. The

setting would be made in "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\ddpsvc\Settings".

My question: can I assume that this is the right place to do ALL three of the

above registry settings? Is this the place where the dedup service looks for

settings when it's not running on a clustered machine? The path seems to imply that.

--

Cheers,

pk

• Edited by Peter Koch Tuesday, October 20, 2015 10:57 AM
    Friday, October 9, 2015 1:32 PM

All replies

• To reply to a twitter reply by Flemming Riis directly here:

The DPM machine is a VM, its data disks being VHDs, designed as per the howto linked above.

Monday, October 12, 2015 11:00 AM
  • OK, so I'm trying to make things clearer:

We have a single machine ("host"), with ~40TB of direct attached storage. It has the Hyper-V role installed, and it's running a VM. This VM has DPM installed. All software is latest stable (2012 R2). The host storage is divided into 7TB volumes, which contain VHDXs, which are attached to the VM. So the setup looks like what they were doing, except for we're not using SOFS, but "local storage", attached to the hypervisor.

--

Gruß,

pk

Friday, October 16, 2015 2:05 PM
  • Nobody on this ?  I had the same query except we using Server 2019 / DPM 2019 on ReFS, Deduped.
    Tuesday, June 4, 2019 12:54 PM