none
Adding 1809 GPO to a central store, will it impact my W7 in any way? RRS feed

• Question

• We are still at 2008 R2 functionality level (will be going to 2016 in November) and W7 as the OS. We are in the process of migrating to 1809, and the question is what happens if we import an Administrative Templates (.admx) for Windows 10 October 2018 Update (1809) to an isolated OU. will that impact my W7 GPO's in anyway? Our lab is already 2016, so no point in testing there.

Monday, September 16, 2019 6:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It won't have any effect on the current GPOs, you can overwrite existing files if needed.

The policy definitions simply lets your Group Policy Management Console see the new settings, so if you configure a new setting, only machines with that local value will apply them.

Example:

A Windows 10 only setting will be ignored by a Windows 7 client.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Monday, September 16, 2019 6:54 PM
  • Hello Belgian,

Thank you for posting in our forum.

According to your description, the domain functional level of our environment is 2008R2, and the operating system version is win10, right?

And we want to add 1809 to a central store.

>>will that impact my W7 GPO's in anyway?
    Based on my experience, there is no impact on existing GPOs. But after replacing the old version with the new version, some new features will be added.

Hope above information can help you. If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best regards,
    Cynthia Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 10:48 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Cynthia

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 19, 2019 1:47 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Cynthia

Monday, September 23, 2019 1:40 AM