none
Active Directory Sites and Services - single Site, value of adding subnets RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have a single AD site, which is in effect, 2 data centres in 2 different geographic areas connected by a stretched VLAN (i.e. layer 2 connectivity). All of our DCs and major infrastructure is located within these 2 data centres. We have a number of smaller offices and locations spread out throughout the country (around 100+ locations). In these smaller offices, we have a small amount of infrastructure (i.e. the odd SCCM Distribution Point). My question is, given we have a single AD site, is there any value in adding the subnets for each one of the 100 locations into AD sites and services?

If I did add the IP subnet, would there be any impact? We use SCCM, Azure and Exchange.

Thanks

• Edited by Aetius2012 Monday, September 9, 2019 12:44 PM .
    Monday, September 9, 2019 12:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum.

2 data centres in 2 different geographic areas connected by a stretched VLAN (i.e. layer 2 connectivity)

All of our DCs and major infrastructure is located within these 2 data centres.

is there any value in adding the subnets for each one of the 100 locations into AD sites and services?

If I did add the IP subnet, would there be any impact? We use SCCM, Azure and Exchange.

As far as I know, for single site, adding subnet or not doesn’t have some impact, if our servers located in multiple location, design AD site topology will help us to optimize resource access.

And for SCCM and Exchange, also shouldn’t have any impact, if you want further confirm it, you should create new thread in Exchange or SCCM forum.

For your reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/ad-ds/plan/designing-the-site-topology

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 7:23 AM
  • Thanks William, the only other question I have, is if we've got a single site, is there any benefit in adding the IP subnets in?

IT Support/Everything

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 10:38 AM
  • Hi,

>>is if we've got a single site, is there any benefit in adding the IP subnets in?

As far as I know, it doesn't impact user authentication, the only benefit is it could let our environment more standard.

Best Regards,

William

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 7:30 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

William

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 2:53 AM