none
Windows 10 Updates...WSUS? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm in the process of upgrading roughly 50 workstations from Win7 to Win10. We currently use a WSUS server to handle updates. Is WSUS necessary for Win10 machines? Does the peer-to-peer updates handle what WSUS did in previous versions of Windows or do I still WSUS? 

Currently WSUS is currently on a Windows Server 2008 R2 server running version 3.2. As it currently stands, when I upgrade the workstations I'm denying the current policies (in GPO) set up in WSUS (because they don't apply as they're for Win7). 

Not sure how to handle updates. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 2:13 PM

Answers

• well the internal WSUS is not always required - but the only way to Control from central Point the Updates you like or Need to approve iit is to use a internal WSUS. if this not required you can run without a local WSUS Server. But you with the internal WSUS Server you have also a better overview about your required updates and so on.

| Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue |
    | Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue |
    | Disclaimer:
     This posting is provided with no warranties and confers no rights. |
    | N 48° 8' 39.8419" E 11° 36' 1.3359" |

Klaus

• Marked as answer by jsaker Wednesday, May 1, 2019 11:56 AM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2019 7:55 PM

All replies

• I guess you should or Need to update your WSUS Server to Windows Server 2016 or so

your WSUS Server will not support the Windows 10  Content-Type Feature Update. 

if you use a internal WSUS Server at least one Windows 10 Machine Needs to load the Updates from there before this Workstation can share in the same subnet this package. 

klaus 

| Disclaimer:

Klaus

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 6:37 PM
  • Is having a WSUS server necessary? Or will the machines update with the Win10 peer-to-peer feature?
    Tuesday, April 30, 2019 7:48 PM
  • well the internal WSUS is not always required - but the only way to Control from central Point the Updates you like or Need to approve iit is to use a internal WSUS. if this not required you can run without a local WSUS Server. But you with the internal WSUS Server you have also a better overview about your required updates and so on.

| Disclaimer:

Klaus

• Marked as answer by jsaker Wednesday, May 1, 2019 11:56 AM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2019 7:55 PM