none
Srv 2008 SP2 Time Service Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Server 2008 SP2 Domain Member server in a Windows 2003 Domain.  I noticed that when I check time via Net Time I get a response from another Domain Member 2003 server not the Srv 2003 Domain Controller. 

I issued W32tm /config /syncfromflags:domhier /update
    Net stop w32time
    Net start w32time

The command completes but when I then type net time I get the name of another domain member 2003 server not the Domain AD 2003 server.

I'm have not set anything in the registry to point to to a manually configured time service so should be syncing from
    Friday, November 20, 2009 5:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This behavior does not indicate any issue if the system time is synchronized correctly. “net time” is a simple tool to display or synchronize time. When used without options on a Windows Server domain, it displays the current date and time at the computer designated as the time server for the domain. So it could be any time server in domain, and time server with higher priority could be returned first.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 10:46 AM

All replies

• Did you look at registry the configuration of w32time service ? If you especify a different server for this service (KEY NtpServer), is getting time info from other server.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773263(WS.10).aspx

and

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816042/en-us

Fernando Peralta | MCITP:EA, MCTS:Windows Vista, MCSE, MCSA:Security
    Friday, November 20, 2009 6:10 PM
  • As noted no changes to reigstry in fact when checking registry it is set as NT5DS which means that it should be syncing from domain hierachy.

When running Net Time /querysntp I get the name of the forest root DC which is correct
    but when I run Net Time I get name of another member server in the domain.

Just trying to figure out why this is occurring
    Friday, November 20, 2009 6:25 PM
  • Hi,

This behavior does not indicate any issue if the system time is synchronized correctly. “net time” is a simple tool to display or synchronize time. When used without options on a Windows Server domain, it displays the current date and time at the computer designated as the time server for the domain. So it could be any time server in domain, and time server with higher priority could be returned first.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 10:46 AM