none
Meeting Workspace: Attendee Reponses aren't captured

Question

• When an attendee responds to a meeting request, the meeting workspace attendee list does not reflect their intentions.  Why is this?

It adds the correct permissions for the individual as a contributor, but when the user accepts via Outlook, it doesn't go out to SP and update that item.
    Wednesday, October 08, 2008 10:09 PM

All replies

• I just tried this now with Outlook 2007 and SharePoint 2007 (Enterprise) and it seemed to update appropriately. The attendee was even using Outlook 2003.

Can you confirm that the link to the meeting workspace still exists in Outlook 2007? I know it is possible to 'unlink' a workspace. This could result in the attendee responses not passing through.

How did you link the outlook event/meeting with the workspace? Via Outlook's Interface? When I did my test that is how I made the connection, so perhaps it's related to another method of connecting the workspace.

Also note that the creator of the meeting may not have their response updated since often it can be set up that the creator doesn't need to respond, thereby stopping that action of setting the Attendees list's response to Accepted.

Wish I could help more,
    Richard Harbridge
    Thursday, October 09, 2008 1:03 PM
  • I'm using outlook 2007.  Here are my steps:

I click New Meeting Request.
    Put my recipients in the TO field.
    Clicked Meeting Workspace from the ribbon and clicked Create from the side panel (names it the subject title)
    Clicked to add the link into the message
    Send it.
    Recipient accepts request (not self)
    No update to the workspace in the attendees list.

I'm fuzzy on what you mean by the meeting existing in Outlook 2007.  If you mean do I see a list of meeting workspaces that I want to attach this request to, then yes, i still see those.

Thursday, October 09, 2008 1:38 PM
  • Hmm well that is a pickle. The correct permissions are there, and meeting shows up in outlook and it still shows the connection or link to the workspace....

hmmm

Is it possible that the attendee in question was using a non Microsoft email client?

I wonder if it's because of how they accepted. I know (from my test this morning) that it works fine if responded from 2007 or 2003 outlook but I haven't personally done testing with other email clients.
    Thursday, October 09, 2008 5:23 PM
  • No.  the user is on the domain and using outlook 2007.  Is there a service account that runs in the background or anything that would push the responses to these workspaces?
    Thursday, October 09, 2008 6:51 PM
  • This isn't a recurring event or anything like that is it?

Did you modify the attendee list at all in SharePoint after creating the workspace?

If both of the above are not true then...

Try adding additional attendees, make sure the SharePoint list (attendees) is updating when you update the people who are invited. This should be automatic.

One thing that might be happening is that for some reason their updates aren't going through. But since this is also stored in your outlook event, if you modify it and 'send update' it should update that attendees list.

"If you later change the attendee names, the date, the time, or the location in Outlook 2003 or in Outlook 2007, Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2007 automatically updates the information in the Meeting Workspace site." from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831055

One other check could be to see if it's just this user, or if it happens with other users as well. One thing could be that the SMTP address of the attendees your inviting might not exist in their windows user account? (I doubt this one though).

Maybe try that and let me know,
    Richard Harbridge

P.S - I don't know how the code works exactly, and am not sure where I would start looking in the DLL's etc. I haven't been able to find anything that deep down on this when I looked through all my Microsoft Resources but if I think of something else I will let you know.
    Thursday, October 09, 2008 7:34 PM
  • No.  not a reoccuring event.

No.  Didn't modify the attendee list after Outlook created it.  I didn't touch it until I knew the recipient had responded.

"One thing could be that the SMTP address of the attendees your inviting might not exist in their windows user account?" - Not sure I understand.  Can I see this in AD?

Is Exchange part of the equation at all?
    Thursday, October 09, 2008 9:10 PM
  • Not that I know of, im actually pretty sure exchange isn't even necessary.

This one has me temporarily stumped.

It didn't help when you updated the event in outlook eh?
    Thursday, October 09, 2008 9:37 PM
  • I'm not expert in SharePoint, but I have just set up a workspace with Outlook to manage a UAT cycle.

Had the same problem and had a little bit of luck with my trial and error. The users were not permissioned to the site before I sent the invitations and created the workspace.

I added the users to the site, and then sent a sneaky meeting update from Outlook with additional information.

The users who then acccept / decline are now captured in the workspace.

Good luck

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 1:45 PM