none
AS Tabular and Sample Data in VS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I really need your help – I want to use the sample data in an Analysis Services Project in the Visual Studio, but the sample Data from the Sample Partitions will not be displayed.

The actual situation:

1. I use a Tabular AS Server 2016 and 2019
    2. Visual Studio 2019 with the latest Data Tools
    3. The data source is SQL Server (2014 / 2019), I’ve tried also the Legacy Mode of the data source
    4. The impersonation mode was created with a AD account which has access to the data
    5. I don’t use the Import Mode, I use Direct Query
    6. I connected two tables, one fact (5 bn rows, one dimension) and created sample partitions
      1. After a “Refresh All” the VS reads all the data (the dialogue shows the process) and after finishing the visual studio shows no data in the grid.
    7. When I start Excel with Sample Data from the Visual Studio I can work with the data

I’ve tried it also with a Visual Studio 2015 on a other Machine – but also with no success.

Hope anyone has a hint for me …

Best

Philipp

Monday, May 25, 2020 5:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>>I connected two tables, one fact (5 bn rows, one dimension) and created sample partitions.After a “Refresh All” the VS reads all the data (the dialogue shows the process) and after finishing the visual studio shows no data in the grid.

Did you get any error messages or warning here? Could you share us some screenshot?

>>>When I start Excel with Sample Data from the Visual Studio I can work with the data

So the data shows correctly in Excel?

Have you tried to run VS as administrator? You could try this.

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 2, 2020 7:08 AM
  • Did you get any error messages or warning here? Could you share us some screenshot?

-> No, i've got no error messages

>>>When I start Excel with Sample Data from the Visual Studio I can work with the data

So the data shows correctly in Excel?

-> Yes

Have you tried to run VS as administrator? You could try this.

-> Yes

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 4, 2020 9:27 AM
  • This is likely a regression in SSDT introduced by one of the versions released in the last 3 years (2017-2020).

The scenario was working as expected 3 years ago (v 1.19 of the SSDT VSIX).

It is not working now. This feature is probably not used so much, because nobody opened a case with Microsoft Support so far.

I suggest you open a support ticket with Microsoft.

Marco Russo (Blog, Twitter, LinkedIn) - sqlbi.com: Articles, Videos, Tools, Consultancy, Training
    Format with DAX Formatter and design with DAX Patterns. Learn DAX!

Thursday, June 4, 2020 3:33 PM