none
% Complete is not getting 100% RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Need you expert advice for best possible reccommended solution for below scenerio:

Project Plan base calendar is set with 9 working hours, 2 type of Resources with 8 hours and 9 hours for allocation.

For your information task type is Fixed Duration and client want tracking method to be Actual Work done and Work Remaining.

When i allocate Resource with 8 hours against 1d task (9 hours Baselined task) and update task status in Actual work in PWA, let say 8 hours it shows me 100% (% Work Complete) but at the same time, when i see % complete that is not getting 100%.

Now here, i would need your expertise adivice, how do we overcome this scenerio. Thanks in Advance.

Thanks. Warm Regards Badal Ratra
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 10:13 AM

Answers

• Hi Badal,

I think we may be talking past each other. I'm guessing you've done the following:

Modified your project calendar to 9 hours per day
    Set the definition of a day to 9 hours, definition of a week to 45 hours.
    Created one resource with 8 hour per day (required modification of the resource calendar)

If you create a one-day fixed Duration task and assign the 8 hour per day resource, the resource can only accomplish 8 hours of work as you've fixed the duration and cannot extend the end date to the next morning to accomplish the 9th hour of work.  Because the work is 8 hours, the cost is $80.  The baseline cost would be $80.  I don't know where you got the $90 baseline cost reflected above.  So, is the work estimate 8 hours or 9 hours?  If the work is nine hours for the 8 hour per day resource, you'll need to manually change the work to 9 hours which will change the assignment units.

If you create a one day Fixed units task and assign the 8 hour per day resource, the resource is scheduled for 9 hours of work because the duration of the task is 9 hours and the resource is assigned at 100%. The cost is $90, but the end date of the task shifts to the next morning.  So, should it be 8 hours or nine hours of work?

In your example above, if the estimated work is 9 hours (as reflected in the baseline cost of $90), how can the work be complete when the resource has only done 8 hours?

Did the resource change the remaining work to zero?.

If you want the tasks to be fixed duration, you must manually set remaining duration to zero in a Fixed Duration task in the circumstance of the 8 hour per day resource accomplishing all 8 hours.

I still advocate for leaving the task as Fixed Units or Fixed Work.  Enter your work estimates and let project calculate the duration.  If the definition of a day is 9 hours and the 8 hour per day resource is assigned to 8 hour of work, the duration will show .89 of a day.  If when the resource records 8 hours of actual work, the task is 100% work complete and 100% complete.

Cost is based upon Resource Work -- specify the work, let the durations adjust based upon work and number of hours per day in the resource's calendar.

I hope this helps.

Julie

• Marked as answer by Badal Ratra Friday, February 11, 2011 6:32 AM
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 12:09 PM

All replies

• For your more Understanding, below is the snapshot:

Task Name Duration Start Finish Predecessors Baseline Duration Actual Duration Remaning Duration       % Complete     % Work Complete Baseline Work Actual Work Remaining Work Resource Name
    T1 1 day 2/9/11 2/9/11 1 day 0.92 days 0.08 days 92% 100%   8 hrs 8 hrs 0 hrs Badal_Ratra (Onsite with 8 hours)
    T2 1 day 2/10/11 2/10/11      1 1 day 0 days 1 day 0% 0%   9 hrs 0 hrs 9 hrs Dhivya Krishnamurthy (Offshore with 9 hours)

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 11:22 AM
  • Hi Badal ,

Try posting on the Project Server General Questions and Answers forum:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general.  Please see FAQ Item: 52 Find a Forum.   FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be seen at this web address:  http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm

Mike Glen
    Project MVP
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 11:29 AM
  • Hello Badal Ratra,

Because you have set the task to Fixed Duration, the work (8 hours) is complete but you have remaining duration.  % complete works with duration measurements and because you still have duration remaining the task is not 100% complete.  Set the remaining duration to zero and the % complete should update to 100%.

Julie

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 12:07 PM
  • Thanks Mike.
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 12:11 PM
  • Thanks Julie for your reply.

I agree with you when we set remaining duration to 0, then the % complete would be 100%.

I am looking forward for best advice for above discussed scenerio, having resources with 8 hours and 9 hours calendar. Should we set Project Calendar with 9 or 8 hours and what task type would be preferable so that we won't face discussed issue above? what would be best solution to track them by keeping % Complete calculation in mind?

Thanks in advance.

• Edited by Badal Ratra Wednesday, February 9, 2011 12:33 PM
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 12:31 PM
  • Hi,

Everything which is not fixed duration will solve your problem.

Greetings,

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 12:36 PM
  • Hi Jan,

Thanks for your Reply.

I didn't mention above that i have to track Resource Cost per hour based on No. of hours of Resource Calendar with 8 hours and 9 hours, however when we go with option task type Fixed Unit, Project Plan cost is calculating based on Project Calendar i.e., 9 hours and estimated Cost is not calculated Correctly. For instance below is the snapshot of the Project Plan:

Task Name Duration     Start Date    Finish Date Predecessor Actual Work      Baseline Cost Actual Cost Baseline Work Work Resource Name
    a 1 day 2/10/2011 7:00 2/11/2011 8:00 8 hrs $90.00 $80.00 9 hrs 9 hrs Badal_Ratra (8 Hours)
    b 1 day 2/11/2011 8:00 2/14/2011    8:00 1 0 hrs $90.00 $0.00 9 hrs 9 hrs Dhivya Krishnamurthy (9 hours)

I know we can track Work allocation based on Resource Calendar in Resource Usage Timephased View but i want that cost should also get calculated based on No. of Hours (Resource Calendar) that is the reason i opted task type with Fixed Duration but i got stucked with above discussed issue. Appreciate your help on this.

Thank you.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 12:59 PM
  • Hello Badal Ratra,

If you ensure that you have the appropriate number of hours of work assigned for each resource, you should be fine.

In both circumstances above, the baseline work was 9 hours.  Are you saying that for you (first line) you should have only had 8 hours of work, not 9?

Try splitting your screen from the Gantt chart to view Task Form in the lower pane.  You can easily view (and modify if needed) he number of hours of work per resource on each assignment.

As Jan notes, Fixed Duration tasks will not adjust % complete even if the work is complete.  Setting the task type to fixed units or fixed work and specifying work will recalculate the duration if needed.  So if you specify 8 hours of work, you'll see the duration drop to .89 of a day.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 1:22 PM
  • You're welcome, Badal :-)

Mike Glen
    MS Project MVP
    See  http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free Project Tutorials 

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 4:09 PM

• Hi Julie,

Not sure excatly how can we ensure the appropriate number of work assigned for each resource in case of Fixed duration task type with 8 hours and 9 hours Resource.

In first circumstance that is task type with fixed duration (9 hours Project Base Calendar), the baseline work is coming 8 hours for 8 Hours resource and 9 hours for 9 hours Resource, here cost is also getting calculated based on No. of hours Resource Calendar Capacity wise thats is  8 hours * 10/hr and 9 hours * 10/h, which i really need it. Already posted Project plan snapshot in the same thread.

In second cricumstances, when i go with Fixed Unit Task type, it baselined 9 hours for both type of resources 8 hrs and 9  hrs taking precedence of Project Calendar that is correct i know but it is calculating Cost also based on Baselined work i.e., is 9 * 9 hrs but i want cost should be calculate based on Resource working hours same in firsr scenerio above i.e., 9*8 * 10/h. Already posted Project Plan snapshot in the same thread.

I agree with Jan, that Fixed Duration task will not adjust % complete even it the work is complete however can anyone suggest me what is the best way to achieve above discussed scenrio that is tracking 8 hours and 9 hours Resource work and cost based on No. of hours, shall we take 8 hours Project Calendar or 9 hours Project Calendar either with task type Fixed Unit or Fixed Duration as when i go with Fixed Unit Task type then i am able to track cost based on Resource Work Hours and if i go with Fixed duration task type then i face problem with % complete.

Appreciate your idea for meeting above scenerio. Thank you.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 6:59 AM
  • Hi Badal,

I think we may be talking past each other. I'm guessing you've done the following:

Modified your project calendar to 9 hours per day
    Set the definition of a day to 9 hours, definition of a week to 45 hours.
    Created one resource with 8 hour per day (required modification of the resource calendar)

If you create a one-day fixed Duration task and assign the 8 hour per day resource, the resource can only accomplish 8 hours of work as you've fixed the duration and cannot extend the end date to the next morning to accomplish the 9th hour of work.  Because the work is 8 hours, the cost is $80.  The baseline cost would be $80.  I don't know where you got the $90 baseline cost reflected above.  So, is the work estimate 8 hours or 9 hours?  If the work is nine hours for the 8 hour per day resource, you'll need to manually change the work to 9 hours which will change the assignment units.

If you create a one day Fixed units task and assign the 8 hour per day resource, the resource is scheduled for 9 hours of work because the duration of the task is 9 hours and the resource is assigned at 100%. The cost is $90, but the end date of the task shifts to the next morning.  So, should it be 8 hours or nine hours of work?

In your example above, if the estimated work is 9 hours (as reflected in the baseline cost of $90), how can the work be complete when the resource has only done 8 hours?

Did the resource change the remaining work to zero?.

If you want the tasks to be fixed duration, you must manually set remaining duration to zero in a Fixed Duration task in the circumstance of the 8 hour per day resource accomplishing all 8 hours.

I still advocate for leaving the task as Fixed Units or Fixed Work.  Enter your work estimates and let project calculate the duration.  If the definition of a day is 9 hours and the 8 hour per day resource is assigned to 8 hour of work, the duration will show .89 of a day.  If when the resource records 8 hours of actual work, the task is 100% work complete and 100% complete.

Cost is based upon Resource Work -- specify the work, let the durations adjust based upon work and number of hours per day in the resource's calendar.

I hope this helps.

Julie

• Marked as answer by Badal Ratra Friday, February 11, 2011 6:32 AM
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 12:09 PM
  • HI Julie,

Thanks for wonderful explanation. Its worked for me changing Task fixed type to Fixed Unit. Thanks once again.

Friday, February 11, 2011 6:31 AM
  • You're most welcome and thanks for the feedback.

Julie

Friday, February 11, 2011 12:48 PM