none
How to audit updates when first sync updates after WSUS is deployed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Experts,

after I deployed the WSUS server and sync updates from microsoft catalog center, I found there thousands update files listed in it。So,  how can I audit those update files and choose which one is applied to our system?

A second question is that when we have several downstream servers in copy mode and considering our network restriction,I have set them to download files from the Internet. In this scenario,the upstream will download and audit update list for the downstream servers and the downstream servers only need to download update files from the Internet, right? They don't need to download update list from the Internet? 

Thanks,

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 5:51 AM

Answers

• Hi,

My usual suggestion is to first consider declining the superseded updates in the WSUS database. You can refer to the steps mentioned in this article: "How to identify and decline superseded updates in WSUS". The approval of the update is then followed. This will reduce redundant work caused by outdated updates.

* Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

At the same time, a new update view is created. In the Actions pane, click New Update View. You can filter updates by category, product, approved group, and sync date. You can sort the list by clicking the corresponding column heading in the title bar.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 8:46 AM

All replies

• after I deployed the WSUS server and sync updates from microsoft catalog center, I found there thousands update files listed in it。So,  how can I audit those update files and choose which one is applied to our system?

The best way is to wait for the client to complete the status report. After that, the update of the WSUS console will change its status, indicating that the required update is the update required by the client.
    And you can use the update status report provided by WSUS to determine which client needs to be updated.

A second question is that when we have several downstream servers in copy mode and considering our network restriction,I have set them to download files from the Internet. In this scenario,the upstream will download and audit update list for the downstream servers and the downstream servers only need to download update files from the Internet, right? They don't need to download update list from the Internet? 

Yes, downstream servers share update metadata and approval information from upstream servers. If the downstream server is configured to obtain updates from Microsoft Update, after obtaining the approval information of the upstream server, the update installation files will be obtained from the Microsoft Update site via the Internet.

Regards,
    Yic

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 7:08 AM
  • thanks Yic, your info is very useful.  meanwhile, how can I audit thousands updates to see which one is useful to us? the only way is to audit them one by one?

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 6:43 AM
  • Hi,

My usual suggestion is to first consider declining the superseded updates in the WSUS database. You can refer to the steps mentioned in this article: "How to identify and decline superseded updates in WSUS". The approval of the update is then followed. This will reduce redundant work caused by outdated updates.

* Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

At the same time, a new update view is created. In the Actions pane, click New Update View. You can filter updates by category, product, approved group, and sync date. You can sort the list by clicking the corresponding column heading in the title bar.

Regards,
    Yic

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 8:46 AM