none
SharePoint 2016 connected with two domains | user is not found error message RRS feed

• Question

• We have connected two domains (domainA and domainB) for the peoplepicker via powershell (...SearchActiveDirectoryDomains.Add). They are both having their own forest.
    Now we have problems adding people which have the same username in both domains. (error message when user is selected: "user is not found")
    Although when I type explicitly 'domainB\userc' in the peoplepicker, it is finding domainA\userc and domainB\userc in the list.

We just need the domainB accounts to be working.

Can I limit the peoplepicker for domainA to not visit a special OU (where userc is mentioned)?
    (We do not synchronize this OU in the User Profile Service also)

Thanks for your help!
    Sibylla
    Tuesday, December 17, 2019 12:26 PM

Answers

• The issue is solved. Indeed we decided to use a filter for the peoplepicker with an AD attribute which is not in use for other scenarios. Now we can define by this attribute which user should be found.
    • Marked as answer by Sibylla_B Tuesday, February 4, 2020 1:35 PM
    Tuesday, February 4, 2020 1:35 PM

All replies

• Why do users have identical usernames in both domains? That will be extremely confusing to end users as they use the platform (e.g. using sharing dialogs, etc.).

Trevor Seward

Office Apps and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2019

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 3:48 PM
  • Hi Sibylla,

Please try below PowerShell Command:

Set-SPSite -Identity “Site Collection URL”  -UserAccountDirectoryPath “OU=OrganizationalUnit, DC=Domain, DC=COM”

Detailed information:

https://demantprasad.wordpress.com/category/limit-the-people-picker-in-sharepoint-2010-to-a-specific-ou-or-domain/

Best regards,

Julie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 6:32 AM
  • Thank you Julie, I will try this command!

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 8:48 AM
  • The AD design is not up to me. But if we limit the OU it should be not confusing any more.

Thanks!

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 8:49 AM
  • Hi Sibylla,

I am looking forward to your feedback if there is any update.

Best regards,

Julie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, December 19, 2019 1:20 AM
  • Hi Sibylla,

Is there any progress on this issue?

If you find the reply helpful to you, please remember to mark it as answer.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Julie

Monday, December 23, 2019 1:26 AM
  • Hello Julie,

thanks for your message. I had to find a 2016 test enviroment and it looks like the OU filtering is working with the above query. Now it has to be adopted to production (with a different "more complicated" AD).

Is there also a way to set the people picker for a whole web application? There are many site collections in the web application and I would like to set the behavior in general for the peoplepicker.

Thanks!

Sibylla

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 1:30 PM
  • Hello again,

I tried the site collection based solution at a test site in production. I configured the ou filtering now for domainA.

It is working for domainA.

Set-SPSite -Identity http://mywebapp.com/testsite  -UserAccountDirectoryPath “OU=MyOrganizationalUnit, DC=DomainA, DC=CORP”

But the users in the domainB are not availabe any more in peoplepicker. Do I have to add domainB in the command too? I was thinking I just added a filter for domainA and domainB is working without any filtering.

Thanks! Sibylla

• Edited by Sibylla_B Wednesday, January 15, 2020 1:55 PM
    Wednesday, January 15, 2020 1:55 PM
  • You can only add a single DN. If you have multiple sources, this approach will not work.

Trevor Seward

Office Apps and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2019

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 3:55 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, Trevor.

How can I solve this scenario when I need to have multiple domains connected?

Sibylla

Thursday, January 16, 2020 8:11 AM
  • Is there a way with a custom filer? Maybe if I set an AD attribute for the users that should not be found? Is this possible? (as there are a limited number of users which should not be found this could be moderate effort)

STSADM.EXE -o setproperty -pn peoplepicker-searchadcustomfilter ...

Thursday, January 16, 2020 10:04 AM
  • The issue is solved. Indeed we decided to use a filter for the peoplepicker with an AD attribute which is not in use for other scenarios. Now we can define by this attribute which user should be found.
    • Marked as answer by Sibylla_B Tuesday, February 4, 2020 1:35 PM
    Tuesday, February 4, 2020 1:35 PM