none
share RD Licensing Mgr across 2 RDS deployments? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an existing RDS deployment with the following servers:

• RD Gateway
    • RD Connection Broker, plus RD Web Access
    • Domain Controller with RD Licensing Mgr
    • (3) RD Session Hosts

We want to deploy a new RDS environment with all new GW/CB/SH but we don't want to buy new CALs. We currently have 160 device-based CALs but we only use about 1/3 of them. Rather than try to reset/restore only the required CALs can I simply build the new deployment and re-use the existing RD License Mgr? Can 1 RD License Mgr host (be 'joined to'?) more than 1 deployment and CB?

My concern, obviously, is that I'm trying not to have *ANY* effect on the existing deployment.

Monday, October 21, 2019 5:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, you can share your RD Licensing server across multiple deployments.  On the second deployment, instead of using the green RD Licensing icon edit deployment properties -- RD Licesning tab.  Add the FQDN of your existing RD Licensing server and set the licensing mode to Per Device.

The above assumes the new deployment is same or lower windows server version as your RD Licensing server and purchased RDS CALs.

-TP

Monday, October 21, 2019 6:07 PM
  • HI
    I agree with Mr TP. if this new RDS environment is still for the same windows client device(or ipad, iPhone , android device etc) , I suggest you use the same os version of original RDS version as the new rds environment .
    on new session host server we also can set the below local policy.
    Computer Configuration - Policies - Administrative Templates - Windows Components - Remote Desktop Services - Remote Desktop Session Host - Licensing
    use the specified remote desktop license servers  enable specify your rdls server
    set the remote desktop licensing mode                enable per device

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 9:41 AM
  • Thank you for the replies!

So, just to clarify: If I were to add the existing RD License Mgr server via the 'Add RD 'Licensing button-wizard, it would probably mess things up, e.g. by updating the configuration on that server to only work with the new deployment? But if I manually add it afterwards through the Tasks > Edit Deployment / RD Licensing tab, then it won't mess things up.

All servers are identical Server 2012 R2 Standard.

re the Session Host configuration, do I need to manually configure the RD Licensing, e.g. via GPO? I thought they would 'inherit' that info through the change in Edit Deployment.

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 2:10 PM
  • Hi,

No, you do not need to manually configure RD Licensing via GPO.  Please follow the instructions I gave you above regarding editing deployment properties -- RD Licensing tab for the second deployment and things will work fine.

Thanks.

-TP

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 11:56 PM
  • HI
    I agree with Mr TP.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 24, 2019 2:15 AM