none
WSUS keeps creating a duplicate server name

Question

• I am having a issue when I make a change to a group member or move a user to a different group and refresh.. I get a duplicate server name. This can happen repeatedly. The duplicates are identical to the main server and are even named the same.

Any idea why this is happening and how to resolve?

Tuesday, June 02, 2015 11:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you enabled the client side targeting? If yes, we need to configure this setting by using group policy.

If no, please follow the steps below to troubleshooting this issue,

• Remove the WSUS settings on the clients with this issue.
    • Remove these client from the WSUS console.
    • Reconfigure the WSUS clients.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 03, 2015 5:54 AM
  • Steven,

I have enabled 'use the update service console'

We have over 100 computers connected now and assigned to different groups that were made (some are not reporting and connecting) but that's another issue I will be looking into.

On the left hand side.. I have named the server 'WSUS'. Below all of the options (example: Updates, Computer and Groups.. at the very bottom).. I have two of the same sever names listed (but they appear in lower case).. 'wsus'.

If I check the main report on each of them.. they are identical.

I can remove both of the duplicate named 'wsus' and they eventually re-appear next time you go back into the WSUS server interface.

Any idea why?

• Edited by vs2015sv Wednesday, June 03, 2015 11:38 PM
    Wednesday, June 03, 2015 9:19 PM
  • Hello,

I have the same problem.

• removing %appdata%\Microsoft\MMC\ does not help

The Event viewer is presenting eventid 7053 with:

The WSUS administration console has encountered an unexpected error. This may be a transient error; try restarting the administration console. If this error persists, 

Try removing the persisted preferences for the console by deleting the wsus file under %appdata%\Microsoft\MMC\.

System.Threading.ThreadAbortException -- Thread was being aborted.

Source
    System

Stack Trace:
       at System.Net.ConnectStream.WriteHeaders(Boolean async)
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndSubmitRequest()
       at System.Net.Connection.SubmitRequest(HttpWebRequest request, Boolean forcedsubmit)
       at System.Net.ServicePoint.SubmitRequest(HttpWebRequest request, String connName)
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.SubmitRequest(ServicePoint servicePoint)
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.ApiRemotingCompressionProxy.GetWebResponse(WebRequest webRequest)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting.ExecuteSPSearchUpdates(String updateScopeXml, String preferredCulture, Int32 publicationState)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccessProxy.ExecuteSPSearchUpdates(String updateScopeXml, String preferredCulture, ExtendedPublicationState publicationState)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.Update.SearchUpdates(UpdateScope searchScope, ExtendedPublicationState publicationState, UpdateServer updateServer)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.UpdateManager.GetUpdates(ExtendedUpdateScope filter)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.BulkUpdatePropertiesCache.GetAndCacheUpdates(ExtendedUpdateScope updateScope, ComputerTargetScope computerTargetScope)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Pages.UpdatesListPage.GetListRows()

Any idea how to solve this?

Wednesday, January 03, 2018 2:09 PM
  • My script will most likely fix this. It sounds like I can help you fix both issues fairly easily.

Please have a look at the WSUS Automated Maintenance (WAM) system. It is an automated maintenance system for WSUS, the last system you'll ever need to maintain WSUS!

https://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/2998-wsus-automated-maintenance-formerly-adamj-clean-wsus

What it does:

1. Add WSUS Index Optimization to the database to increase the speed of many database operations in WSUS by approximately 1000-1500 times faster.
    2. Remove all Drivers from the WSUS Database (Default; Optional).
    3. Shrink your WSUSContent folder's size by declining multiple types of updates including by default any superseded updates, preview updates, expired updates, Itanium updates, and beta updates. Optional extras: Language Packs, IE7, IE8, IE9, IE10, Embedded, NonEnglishUpdates, ComputerUpdates32bit, WinXP.
    4. Remove declined updates from the WSUS Database.
    5. Clean out all the synchronization logs that have built up over time (configurable, with the default keeping the last 14 days of logs).
    6. Compress Update Revisions.
    7. Remove Obsolete Updates.
    8. Computer Object Cleanup (configurable, with the default of deleting computer objects that have not synced within 30 days).
    9. Application Pool Memory Configuration to display the current private memory limit and easily set it to any configurable amount including 0 for unlimited. This is a manual execution only.
    10. Checks to see if you have a dirty database, and if you do, fixes it. This is primarily for Server 2012 WSUS, and is a manual execution only.
    11. Run the Recommended SQL database Maintenance script on the actual SQL database.
    12. Run the Server Cleanup Wizard.

It will email the report out to you or save it to a file, or both.

Although the script is lengthy, it has been made to be super easy to setup and use so don't over think it. There are some prerequisites and instructions at the top of the script. After installing the prerequisites and configuring the variables for your environment (email settings only if you are accepting all the defaults), simply run:

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -FirstRun

If you wish to view or increase the Application Pool Memory Configuration, or run the Dirty Database Check, you must run it with the required switch. See Get-Help .\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -Examples

If you're having trouble, there's also a -HelpMe option that will create a log so you can send it to me for support.

=============

In addition to this, if each of the client systems don't start reporting (as you mentioned in your second post), then run the following client side script on each of the affected clients in an Administrative Cmd Prompt.

net stop bits
    net stop wuauserv
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v AccountDomainSid /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v PingID /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientId /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientIDValidation /f
    rd /s /q "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution"
    net start bits
    net start wuauserv
    wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow
    PowerShell.exe (New-Object -ComObject Microsoft.Update.AutoUpdate).DetectNow()
    If the clients were all created from the same master image, it's possible the image connected to the WSUS Server before running sysprep. When this happens, the SusClientId and possibly the others mentioned above were created in the master image's registry and Sysprep does not remove these.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    http://www.adamj.org
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

• Edited by Adamj.orgMVP Thursday, January 04, 2018 12:15 AM
    Thursday, January 04, 2018 12:14 AM
  • I also just want to put forth the notion that I understand it's the WSUS MMC snap-in that is duplicating the computers.

Thursday, January 04, 2018 12:17 AM
  • It is not the computers that are duplicated. The server snap-in is duplicated.
    Expand the menu
    Close window / open again
    - the snap-in from the server is duplicated.

The main problem is that modified views will not be saved.

Thursday, January 04, 2018 5:15 PM
  • I added a screenshot, any ideas?
    Monday, January 08, 2018 4:34 PM
  • Have you tried to remove the WSUS server name completely from WSUS's MMC? Close/Re-open the WSUS MMC and re-add not just using the hostname, but rather the fqdn?

Monday, January 08, 2018 6:59 PM
  • This thread has some suggestions:

Wsus snap-in showing duplicated server entries

Rolf Lidvall, Swedish Radio (Ltd)

Tuesday, January 09, 2018 8:56 AM
  • Have you tried to remove the WSUS server name completely from WSUS's MMC? Close/Re-open the WSUS MMC and re-add not just using the hostname, but rather the fqdn?

sorry for the delay. Connecting with ssl fail:

I did further tests:
    http://wsus:8530/selfupdate/wuident.cab -> working
    http://wsus.DOMAIN.LOCAL:8530/selfupdate/wuident.cab -> missing Domainname in certificate

This thread has some suggestions:

Wsus snap-in showing duplicated server entries

Rolf Lidvall, Swedish Radio (Ltd)

thank you, but it is already configured like suggested in the last post of this thread.

Thursday, January 18, 2018 3:49 PM
  • Is the SSL Cert a SAN Cert and have both hostnames as part of the Cert? If not, use the FQDN and generate a new cert. Install the new Cert and then add the FQDN to the MMC Console and see if it continues.

Thursday, January 18, 2018 6:33 PM
  • ok I'll try it
    Friday, January 19, 2018 10:46 AM
  • Am 19.01.2018 um 11:46 schrieb vollkommen egal:
    Hi,

ok I'll try it

Open the WSUS.msc (with one or more servers already showing). Right click on one of the existing servers "New windows from here". Close the MMC and the problem should be solved.

HTH
    Norbert

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 8:53 AM