none
Remove "Item Type" and "Path" columns when exporting list items to Excel RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I need to set up a list for my clients and this list needs to export to Excel.  When I export my list to Excel 2 additional columns are added "Item Type" and "Path" to the Excel spreadsheet.  Is there a way that I can set SharePoint up so that only the list columns export and not these extra 2 columns.  I am trying to avoid my users having to do any manual work and have to manually delete these 2 times everytime the format a report.

Thanks,

Danielle

Monday, March 19, 2012 4:55 PM

Answers

• You Should be using MS ACCESS, there you can create link to the sharepoint list and create custom query or a report just the way you like.

Komt deze foutmelding vaak, soms of altijd voor?

• Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:21 PM
    Monday, March 19, 2012 7:27 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure it would work, but you could look at deleting these default columns by using SharePoint Designer 2010.  Definitely do some testing with this prior to doing it in production.  Most of the time SharePoint doesn't like it when you remove default objects like this.  Aside from this, there won't be a way to change the way the out-of-the-box "Export to Excel" functionaltiy works without manipulating the code and creating your own "Export to Excel" feature.  I'm not a developer so I don't necessarily know what this type of solution would require, but you could post it in the dev forum.  You could also look at third party products.

Chris Caravajal MCTS SharePoint911 Consulting & Support Services

Monday, March 19, 2012 5:05 PM
  • Please check the below links :

http://www.dotnettwitter.com/2011/01/exporting-data-to-excel-from-aspnet.html

http://www.mssharepointtips.com/tip.asp?id=1155&page=1

MCTS,MCPD Sharepoint 2010. My Blog- http://sharepoint-journey.com
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Vote as Helpful

Monday, March 19, 2012 5:13 PM
  • Thank you for the responses.  I do not have SharePoint Designer installed at work -- we are trying to do most things using SharePoint out of the box.  I could possibly get in contact with the developers that do have access to it, but I don't know if that will be an option.  I was hoping there was a way to accomplish this without any other products.

Thanks!

Monday, March 19, 2012 5:24 PM
  • You Should be using MS ACCESS, there you can create link to the sharepoint list and create custom query or a report just the way you like.

Komt deze foutmelding vaak, soms of altijd voor?

• Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:21 PM
    Monday, March 19, 2012 7:27 PM
  • Is thier anyway i can remove this "Item Type" and "Path" to the Excel spreadsheet download.

Prashanthsparks

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 7:35 AM
  • Dear,

I also had same "Is thier anyway i can remove this "Item Type" and "Path" to the Excel spreadsheet download." issue.

Can any one suggest is there  any simple way to remove default columns from export.

Thanks & Regards, Krishna

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 8:32 AM
  • Same question - using Office 365 Excel 2016 SharePoint 2013.  We don't have Access or SharePoint Designer as an option - these columns don't show up as columns we can hide.

It would be nice to do this all within SharePoint or Excel out of the box

Friday, June 29, 2018 7:57 PM