none
Failed to start the database service MSSQL$SharePoint

Question

•  Hi All,

I have installed MOSS on a windows server 2003 32-bit OS machine and I am noticing this error when I start the sharepoint configuration wizard. Any ideas?

Failed to start the database service MSSQL$SharePoint. Repair this product by selecting it from Add/Remove programs.

Thanks!
    Friday, December 19, 2008 5:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

you probably choosed basic > Stand alone install and that's why you got SQL Express edition installed.

If that's what you need, then go to Control Panel > Services > and start the MSSQL$SharePoint Service.

Cheers,
    Daniel Bugday

Web: SharePoint Forum Blog: Daniel Bugday's SharePoint Blog

Friday, December 19, 2008 7:47 PM
  • Thanks Daniel! That explains it.

How can I choose a custom install where I can specify a database server(SQL Server 2005) instead of using SQL Express edition.

While installing MOSS, I never encountered a screen that allowed me to do custom install. Can you please provide more information? I have MOSS standard edition installation disks.

Thanks a lot!!
    Friday, December 19, 2008 8:08 PM
  • Install SQL Server 2005 first if this is a single server install.

Then install MOSS. You will (always) at some stage be asked whether you want to do a Basic or an Advanced Installation. Choose Advanced. Then *even if this is a single server installation* chose Complete (Full) and NOT "single server". You will then be asked where the database is and you tell it where your SQL Server 2005 installation is.
    Friday, December 19, 2008 8:35 PM
  • Be sure to uninstall moss correctly and deleting all the existing Office SharePoint Server 2007 databases on the computer.

As SQL Express got installed, you have no graphical tool for doing this so go ahead and install SQL Express Management Studio:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C243A5AE-4BD1-4E3D-94B8-5A0F62BF7796&displaylang=en

and delete the databases before reinstall!

Good Luck!

Cheers,
    Daniel Bugday

Friday, December 19, 2008 9:04 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

I went to Control Panel and then uninstalled MOSS. Also, I made sure  that I deleted all the MOSS databases. However, when I try to install MOSS again, I never get prompted for basic or advanced installation.

How do I make sure that I uninstalled MOSS properly. Do you have resources that you can point me to? I am frustrated because I have wasted so much time installing and uninstalling MOSS and I do not knwo what else I need to do to install a "Complete" installation.

Thanks
    Friday, December 19, 2008 11:45 PM
  • Check this link:

Install Office SharePoint Server 2007 on a stand-alone computer:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263202.aspx

Check the section named "run setup", step 4.. be sure to choose Advanced. The Basic option is for stand-alone installations.

And on the Server Type tab, select Complete.

Daniel Bugday

Saturday, December 20, 2008 12:16 AM
  • Here's a quick blog post I wrote on Basic Installs vs Advanced Installs, http://www.toddklindt.com/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=82 It explains some of the shortcomings of a Basic Install. Here's another blog post about upgrading SQL Express to a full version of SQL if you did do a Basic install, http://www.toddklindt.com/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=55

tk
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 4:30 AM
  • Guys I have SQL Express & WSS 3.0 installed, now when I try to run configuration I am getting same error, I want WSS only not MOSS, how can I resolve this ?

Krishnaa
    Friday, November 06, 2009 11:06 AM
  • Hi,

Had you ever figured out why you cant choose the advanced install option? I am in this same predicament, it just skips this part in the installation. I have uninstalled and installed moss back and forth to no avail, I have done a full manual uninstall, deleting keys in the registry, as well.

I couldnt determine what you had done, Any luck?

Tuesday, December 08, 2009 10:03 PM