none
How to show the approver's name and approval date? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have enabled content approval to a document library (Windows SharePoint Services 3.0).  Is it possible to show the approver's name and the approval date & time of each of the item in that library?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Jude.
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 5:52 AM

Answers

• To be honest (perhaps cause it's early morning) I can't think of how to do this with the out of the box approval workflow. The reason is because these workflow properties for who approved it and when are located attached to the item, but not a direct part of the item. You can show what 'stage' the workflow is at, and I thought maybe you could toss an event receiver or workflow on the item so when that status (of the workflow) changes to approved it takes a date/time stamp. But I also know that the workflow status changing does not set off the item update, so the workflow and possibly the event receiver wont fire off.

Now, if you use a custom approval (just a workflow that uses say, a collect data from user form that asks for approval and then sets the item to 'approved' you would have the entire tasks data available and could easily copy properties of the task (such as who completed it, and when) to the list item. In this case it would result in exactly what you want.

The reason the above is possible is because the workflow returns the tasks ID when you use 'collect data from a user' whereas the other tasks do not pass this param back. See more here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointdesigner/HA102098081033.aspx

So the collect data could be collect whether it's approved or not, and then sets the approval status on completion for the item, and sets the user, and data/time stamp as well.

Hope this helps,
    Richard Harbridge

Thursday, October 9, 2008 12:38 PM
  • Basically the problem is that data you want to display; the time of approval and who approved it, are not stored with the item (Document Item).

There are two fields related to approval attached to every document item, they are Approval Status, and Approver Comments.

More info on these fields:

Title                              ID                                                                   InternalName
    Approval Status            fdc3b2ed-5bf2-4835-a4bc-b885f3396a61     _ModerationStatus
    Approver Comments    34ad21eb-75bd-4544-8c73-0e08330291fe    _ModerationComments

You will notice the fields you desire are neither of these fields. The only way to capture that kind of information would be by using a custom event receiver or workflow as I mention above. It's just because of the way the approval functionality is defined.

EDIT: Actually on thinking about this it might be very difficult to even capture that data with just an event receiver.. My suggestion would be to implement an approval workflow on this that you design which automatically (using the task form I mentioned in my previous post) captures the data and passes it back to the item's extra fields (columns) that you will create to house this data (approved date/time and approver). Then you can show this data in views of the list/library, filter on this data, create KPI's with it, or use any other built in functionality.

For a listing of the fields a document has you can view these in designer under "Data Source Library" select a library (document library) and choose "Show Data" from the contextual drop down. This shows you available fields for inserting into a dataform webpart. There are also listings like this one here: that list all fields of SharePoint http://www.aarebrot.net/site/index.php/sitedefinitions/18-sitedefinitions/20-sharepointcolumnfieldids

I wish there was an easier way, but I know of none aside from the custom solution.

I hope this helps clarify my above post.
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 5:11 PM

All replies

•  Hi Jude,

check the workflow history.

In the library > Item and over and choose worflow and then history!

Cheers,

Daniel Bugday™ Web: © SharePoint Forum Blog: Daniel Bugday's Blog
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 12:35 PM
  • To be honest (perhaps cause it's early morning) I can't think of how to do this with the out of the box approval workflow. The reason is because these workflow properties for who approved it and when are located attached to the item, but not a direct part of the item. You can show what 'stage' the workflow is at, and I thought maybe you could toss an event receiver or workflow on the item so when that status (of the workflow) changes to approved it takes a date/time stamp. But I also know that the workflow status changing does not set off the item update, so the workflow and possibly the event receiver wont fire off.

Now, if you use a custom approval (just a workflow that uses say, a collect data from user form that asks for approval and then sets the item to 'approved' you would have the entire tasks data available and could easily copy properties of the task (such as who completed it, and when) to the list item. In this case it would result in exactly what you want.

The reason the above is possible is because the workflow returns the tasks ID when you use 'collect data from a user' whereas the other tasks do not pass this param back. See more here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointdesigner/HA102098081033.aspx

So the collect data could be collect whether it's approved or not, and then sets the approval status on completion for the item, and sets the user, and data/time stamp as well.

Hope this helps,
    Richard Harbridge

Thursday, October 9, 2008 12:38 PM
  • Errr note, my previous response specifically was related to showing this data in a list. As Daniel suggests you can dig down into an item to find these properties at any time if desired.
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 12:39 PM
  • Hi all,

Thanks for the ideas so far.  However there is no workflow involved.  I turned on the Content Approval feature in the "Version settings" of a document library.

I'd like to show the approver's name and date time of the approval.  I looked into the available columns in the view settings but could not find a column like "Approved" (date time) or "Approved By".

I thought at least I could rely on the "Modified By" column but after the person approved the item, the "Modified By" column still reflected the person who last modified the item.

Any other suggestion on showing the approval details?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Jude.
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 3:11 PM
  • Basically the problem is that data you want to display; the time of approval and who approved it, are not stored with the item (Document Item).

There are two fields related to approval attached to every document item, they are Approval Status, and Approver Comments.

More info on these fields:

Title                              ID                                                                   InternalName
    Approval Status            fdc3b2ed-5bf2-4835-a4bc-b885f3396a61     _ModerationStatus
    Approver Comments    34ad21eb-75bd-4544-8c73-0e08330291fe    _ModerationComments

You will notice the fields you desire are neither of these fields. The only way to capture that kind of information would be by using a custom event receiver or workflow as I mention above. It's just because of the way the approval functionality is defined.

EDIT: Actually on thinking about this it might be very difficult to even capture that data with just an event receiver.. My suggestion would be to implement an approval workflow on this that you design which automatically (using the task form I mentioned in my previous post) captures the data and passes it back to the item's extra fields (columns) that you will create to house this data (approved date/time and approver). Then you can show this data in views of the list/library, filter on this data, create KPI's with it, or use any other built in functionality.

For a listing of the fields a document has you can view these in designer under "Data Source Library" select a library (document library) and choose "Show Data" from the contextual drop down. This shows you available fields for inserting into a dataform webpart. There are also listings like this one here: that list all fields of SharePoint http://www.aarebrot.net/site/index.php/sitedefinitions/18-sitedefinitions/20-sharepointcolumnfieldids

I wish there was an easier way, but I know of none aside from the custom solution.

I hope this helps clarify my above post.
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 5:11 PM
  • Hi Richard,

Thanks for the excellent insight and feedback!

Best regards,

Jude.
    Friday, October 10, 2008 1:46 PM
  • How to do that on a Sharepoint Online (Office 365), anyone?
    Friday, September 23, 2016 11:22 AM
  • Yes, I would be interested in that as well. I think it is pretty strange that this is not straight out of the box. 
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 10:33 AM
  • I'm also interested on this.

I have a SharePoint 2013 doclist with versioning and approval enabled, with NO workflow set.

Approvers are the few colleagues in the specific access group for 'approvers'.

The system is working fine, BUT... how can I identify (and show in the documents' view) the person who (and when) approved the document? I do not find this info anywhere in the list. I can find the author and the last editor, but NOT the approver.

If this info is not automatically captured by the OOB system, it is really strange. It is a basic requirement for any ISO system, like quality or environment, to state clearly who approved the document, and when.

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Monday, December 19, 2016 11:11 AM
  • BTW, I tried to use a standard workflow (see screenshots below) to have at least a way to store (in a separate list) the approval details. However, despite the workflow configuration mentions the option to 'approve' the main document, this is NOT done automatically, so the approver has to approve first the workflow and then the document itself...

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 10:19 AM