none
DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer xxxxxxx Event ID 10009 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I've had a quick search around but can't see the answer to this question. On my Windows Server 2003 - Std - SP2 domain controller I keep getting an error in the event log 10009 -

DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer xxxxxxxx using any of the configured protocols.

The computer no longer exists on the network and therefore I am unable to delete it. There is no record of the machine name in AD so how do I go about getting rid of this error?

Thanks for your help.

Monday, February 14, 2011 9:25 AM

Answers

All replies

• It usually happens when a certain application tries to reach the particualar computer which is tied to an application for example it might  be firewall client  application which is trying to reach the server and you server is no more on the network its marely an example there might be other applicaiotns as well

http://www.virmansec.com/blogs/skhairuddin

Monday, February 14, 2011 9:27 AM
  • you have to configure windows firewall on the destination computer to allow communications for "remote management" and "files and printers sharing".

Then, if not already solved, have a look at the network specifications for the programs that might cause the problem.

Then assure that:

• start-run-dcomcnfg-OK
    • Computer properties
    • The network account that runs the app on the server has remote launch right.

HTH.

Bye!

Diego Castelli - MCSA 2003, MCP ISA 2004, MCTS Forefront. ITA: Questo post è fornito "così com'è". Non conferisce garanzie o diritti di alcun tipo. Ricorda di usare la funzione "segna come risposta" per i post che ti hanno aiutato a risolvere il problema e "deseleziona come risposta" quando le risposte segnate non sono effettivamente utili. Questo è particolarmente utile per altri utenti che leggono il thread, alla ricerca di soluzioni a problemi similari. ENG: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, February 14, 2011 9:38 AM
  • Bit confused by that answer Diego as the remote machine xxxxx does not exist on my network. It was an old server which has long since been decommissioned.

Monday, February 14, 2011 9:48 AM
  • OK, i thought you want to ENABLE the DCOM communications. You are instead trying to tell the new server that the old is dead and shouldn't try to contact it anymore...

You need to identify who's calling (which component on the source server is trying to contact the old dead one), anyway.

Clues?

Diego Castelli - MCSA 2003, MCP ISA 2004, MCTS Forefront. ITA: Questo post è fornito "così com'è". Non conferisce garanzie o diritti di alcun tipo. Ricorda di usare la funzione "segna come risposta" per i post che ti hanno aiutato a risolvere il problema e "deseleziona come risposta" quando le risposte segnate non sono effettivamente utili. Questo è particolarmente utile per altri utenti che leggono il thread, alla ricerca di soluzioni a problemi similari. ENG: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, February 14, 2011 10:51 AM
  • Is there an easy way to track down which component on the source server is trying to access the server?
    Monday, February 14, 2011 3:14 PM
  • To that end this one may help.

Event ID 10009 — COM Remote Service Availability
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc774368(WS.10).aspx

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    • Marked as answer by Bruce-Liu Thursday, February 24, 2011 2:06 AM
    Monday, February 14, 2011 3:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bruce-Liu Thursday, February 24, 2011 2:06 AM
    Monday, February 14, 2011 4:57 PM