How do I administer peoples newsfeed posts? RRS feed

• Question

• How can I delete someones newsfeed post? Lets say for example that HR contacts me and says, Kyle, I need you to delete User X's post because we find it is offensive and needs to be removed. I dont want to delete the entire profile or site, I just want to remove that 1 post. Is this accomplishable? Is this forced on the user, or is it more of notifying the user and if they do not cooperate then further action is taken against them in a corporate policy?

Also, is there any documentation on best practices for administering other users mysites etc? I can't seem to find anything.

Thanks technet!

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 11:14 PM

Answers

• The only way you can delete Newsfeed items is to give a user Manage Social Data

Found at CA -> AppMan -->Service App -> Manage Service App --> User Profile Service -> Administrators ---Last check box on the Permisions.Hope this helps.

-Guy

• Marked as answer by klip28 Thursday, October 3, 2013 6:29 PM
    Thursday, October 3, 2013 3:53 PM
  • This definetly works, let me redescribe the steps because the Answer on here is a little fuzzy

• Go into Central Administration
    • Go into Application Management
    • Choose Manage Service Applications
    • Highlight UserProfileServiceApplication (dont click the actual link)
    • On the top of the browser click Adminstrators
    • Add your user into the box and press add
    • Make sure your user has Manage Social Data permission

This definetly works!

• Marked as answer by klip28 Friday, October 4, 2013 7:42 PM
    Friday, October 4, 2013 7:42 PM

All replies

• I think only System Account can delete a user newsfeed post. No need to delete entire profile or site. I don't see a document that particularly address this problem, however, more infomation about mysite can be found

Scenario: Personal sites (My Sites) in SharePoint Server 2013

Hope this helps

James

Please mark as Answered if it helped you
    James Tsai | SharePoint Consultant | MCPD,MCTS | www.jamestsai.net

Thursday, March 21, 2013 2:19 AM
  • Not sure what you mean exactly, I don't believe that in 2013 you can login as a system account?

I found that I was able to go into central admin, add myself as a site collection owner of the users mysite, then I was able to navigate to their Microfeed, and I can see the post, however I am not able to delete the post. I tried to give myself list permissions and elevated access at all points, still to no avail.

Ideas?

Thursday, March 21, 2013 6:29 PM
  • The only way you can delete Newsfeed items is to give a user Manage Social Data

Found at CA -> AppMan -->Service App -> Manage Service App --> User Profile Service -> Administrators ---Last check box on the Permisions.Hope this helps.

-Guy

• Marked as answer by klip28 Thursday, October 3, 2013 6:29 PM
    Thursday, October 3, 2013 3:53 PM
  • This was perfect! Thank you!
    Thursday, October 3, 2013 6:29 PM
  • Just paying it forward. I now have orphaned Newsfeed posts. Trying to figure out how to purge them.

-Guy

Thursday, October 3, 2013 7:26 PM
  • This does not work. I tried the steps mentioned by you. it does not show me Delete option.
    Friday, October 4, 2013 7:36 PM
  • This definetly works, let me redescribe the steps because the Answer on here is a little fuzzy

• Go into Central Administration
    • Go into Application Management
    • Choose Manage Service Applications
    • Highlight UserProfileServiceApplication (dont click the actual link)
    • On the top of the browser click Adminstrators
    • Add your user into the box and press add
    • Make sure your user has Manage Social Data permission

This definetly works!

• Marked as answer by klip28 Friday, October 4, 2013 7:42 PM
    Friday, October 4, 2013 7:42 PM
  • I have done exactly the same steps, it does not work for me. however it shows me delete option, if someone replies to my post, then i am able to delete that post, which someone replied to me. but not others.
    Monday, October 7, 2013 11:30 PM
  • Please verify if you have the Delete option in the ... menu. You will not have the X as per your posts.

Here are some steps with screen shots:

http://sharelockpoint.wordpress.com/2013/08/19/remove-user-posts-in-the-newsfeeds-using-social-data-admin-rights/

When you make the change in Central Admin, allow it a delay before you try. I guess there would be a timer job?

• Edited by KM KTNN Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:29 PM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:27 PM
  • I want to to do this in SharePoint Online . Can you please share the steps to do it .
    Thursday, May 15, 2014 6:41 AM
  • This works but it gives them ability to delete Social Data across the hole farm. 

What if you need to give someone the ability to manage only one sites Microfeed not the hole farm?

Friday, September 9, 2016 3:33 PM