Dynamic group headers in Matrix table - SSRS 2005 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am using a matrix table in SSRS 2005 to acheive dynamic columns. I have following requirement for the layout for the table (see below) where column1, column2,column3 are dynamic columns, values '1','0' come in the data region. I want two row groups: First group on the ProductType, so I want the header name to be dynamically pulled from the sql query (such as TypeA,TypeB...) and then in the next rowgroup I want the "ProductCode" which need to come in next line with the corresponding values (0 or 1) it has for different dynamic columns in the data region. Can this be possible using matrix? I tried using different options but everytime the producttype and product code starts in the same line of the rowgroup.

ProductType    column1 column2    column3

TypeA

0389424                1             0                 1

TypeB

0384204                0              1                 1

TypeC                                                                

9238242                1              0                  0

9237429                 0               1                0

Thanks,

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 3:25 PM

Answers

• Hi ss08,

Thanks for your feedback.

I don’t think vb.net or any other program language could change the layout of the report control (such as add the column group feature to the table control), tablix is a new concept which appears in SSRS 2008, it extremely enlarge the functionality of table and matrix controls. So just I mentioned above, I would suggest you to use SSRS 2008 to archive your task.

Thanks,

Bill Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Zilong Lu Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:19 AM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:28 AM

All replies

• Hi ss08,

Thanks for your post.

According to your description and result set, you would like to show your data based ProductType group, especially, show the group data and detail field in separate rows. I suggest you to take use of the group header to archive it, however, in SSRS 2005, this feature is available to table control, due to your matrix contains a dynamic column( we call it column group), while the column group feature is not available in table control. But in the next release SSRS 2008, all these features are available both to table control and matrix control, so I would suggest you to take use of SSRS 2008 tool to archive it. Below, I would take use of SSRS 2005 table control to demonstrate this feature for you without caring dynamic column:

1. Drag a table control to the report design surface.

2. Drop the ProductCode field to the table.

3. Right-Click the handle of the Detail row( second row) of the table, select Insert Group.

4. Specify the Group on Expression to =fields!ProductType.Value, and then check the Include group header item, uncheck the Include group footer item, click ok.

5. Drop the ProductType field to the blank text box below ProductCode column header.

6. Select the first column of the table, and then click the align left icon on the BIDS toolbar.

After you complete the steps above, click preview to have a try.

If you have anything unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 10:03 AM
  • Thanks Lu. We are only using SSRS 2005 so I do not think I can use the tablix. But is there any work around in SSRS 2005 which I can use to get the layout I am looking for. If I use the table control i can get the group header but not the column group. And with matrix I get the column group but not the row group header. So, i am not sure how can I achieve it.

If I use a table control can I use any vb.net which gives me the column group functionality? Or if I use a matrix can I use two matrix table together and acheive what format I want? Please let me know if there are any other ways to acheive this.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Friday, September 9, 2011 3:11 AM
  • Hi ss08,

Thanks for your feedback.

I don’t think vb.net or any other program language could change the layout of the report control (such as add the column group feature to the table control), tablix is a new concept which appears in SSRS 2008, it extremely enlarge the functionality of table and matrix controls. So just I mentioned above, I would suggest you to use SSRS 2008 to archive your task.

Thanks,

Bill Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Zilong Lu Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:19 AM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:28 AM