none
test-spcontentdatabase error with claims authentictaion mode in sharepoint 2013

Question

• I know this has been come up before but could not find any good answer so reposting . I am following Microfoft guide for upgrading Sp 2010 to Sp2013. Existing SP2010 sites use claims based authentication. I made backup of existing content database from SP2010 farm, copied them to SP2013 farm and restored on database server. Also  created web applications on SP2013 farm also using claims based authentication from UI in Central Administration .

After that I used Test-SPContentDatabase cmdlet in order to check restored SP2010 content database against SP2013 web application and i am getting error

Category        : Configuration
    Error           : False
    UpgradeBlocking : False
    Message         : The [SharePoint Primary - 443] web application is configured with claims authentication mode however the content database you are trying to attach is intended to be used against a windows classic authentication mode.
    Remedy          : There is an inconsistency between the authentication mode of target web application and the source web application. Ensure that the authentication mode setting in upgraded web application is the same as what you had in previous
                      SharePoint 2010 web application. Refer to the link "http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=236865" for more information.

Any idea on how to resolve and why am i getting this error ?

Thanks

MP

mp

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 8:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Can you try and migrate the users as well? You can do this by executing the following command:

$wa = get-SPWebApplication $WebAppName
    $wa.MigrateUsers($true)
    $wa.ProvisionGlobally()

(This was the command in SP2010, I am unsure if this same command is still used for SP2013)

Cheers,
    Vincent

Thursday, June 06, 2013 6:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It looks like your SP2010 database still thinks it's a 'classic mode' Web Application. To solve this matter you can do one of two things. First, try to upgrade your SP2010 Content Database from Classic to Claims. Please see the below link for that:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg251985(v=office.14).aspx

If that does not work, you can try the alternative: Create your SP2013 Web Application using Classic mode (which can only be achieved by creating the Web Application through Powershell, see (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg276326.aspx ). Attach the SP2010 database to the newly created Web Application and see if that works. If it does - try upgrading your SP2013 Web Application to use Claims authentication mode.

Cheers,
    Vincent

Wednesday, June 05, 2013 5:41 AM
  • Thanks for eth reply . My sp2010 database is using Claims authentication . When i first migrtaed  from sp2007 to sp2010 i converted teh database to use Claims based authentication . I will try the 2nd option and let you know .

MP

mp

Wednesday, June 05, 2013 1:47 PM
  • I created SP2013 WEBAPP in classic mode, mounted the databse . Converted Webapp from classic to claims using convert-spwebapp command . I can see my site collectiosn listed under "view site collections" however when i am trying to open the site i get  continuously popup for credentials and site does not open . 

I also tried updating portalsuperuseraccount property and the portalsuperreaderaccount property of the web application to the correct account still does not work . Any idaea ??

Thanks

mp

Wednesday, June 05, 2013 6:03 PM
  • Hi,

Can you try and migrate the users as well? You can do this by executing the following command:

$wa = get-SPWebApplication $WebAppName
    $wa.MigrateUsers($true)
    $wa.ProvisionGlobally()

(This was the command in SP2010, I am unsure if this same command is still used for SP2013)

Cheers,
    Vincent

Thursday, June 06, 2013 6:57 AM
  • This has to be a bug.  I had db in 2010 that I converted from classic to claims.  Then I restored it into 2013.  when I ran the test-spcontentdatabase I received the same error that the web application content database you are trying to attach is intended to be used against a windows classic authentication mode. 

At that point I created a classic web application using powershell and when I ran the test-spcontentdatabase I received the error that the web application content database you are trying to attach is intended to be used against a windows claims authentication mode.  Wha?????? SharePoint gone crazy :P

Now at this point you can just attach the database to either web application and notice that it will still upgrade. If you want run the ps command:  convert-spwebapplication -identity http://nameofyourwebapp -to claims -retainpermissions which will update the web app and the users.  After that check the web application user policy for verification.  Make sure to add the spsuperreader and spsuperuser accounts too.  I had some issues where I had to re enter the site collection owners in CA and the site collection.  If you're getting a constant pop up for credentials I would check to make sure that the sites are "trusted" in IE through group policy and set it up with a wildcard (*) to cover all sites.  Ex:  http://*.yourdomainname.com

Jennifer Knight (MCITP, MCPD)

Friday, September 13, 2013 3:04 PM
  • Now at this point you can just attach the database to either web application and notice that it will still upgrade. If you want run the ps command:  convert-spwebapplication -identity http://nameofyourwebapp -to claims -retainpermissions which will update the web app and the users.  After that check the web application user policy for verification.  Make sure to add the spsuperreader and spsuperuser accounts too.  I had some issues where I had to re enter the site collection owners in CA and the site collection.  If you're getting a constant pop up for credentials I would check to make sure that the sites are "trusted" in IE through group policy and set it up with a wildcard (*) to cover all sites.  Ex:  http://*.yourdomainname.com

Jennifer Knight (MCITP, MCPD)

Thanks Jennifer - I ran into the same situation and agree with you this must be a bug. Seeing others having similar issue as well. Not seeing any response from Microsoft on this yet. 

BlueSky2010
    Please help and appreciate others by using forum features: "Propose As Answer", "Vote As Helpful" and "Mark As Answer"

Monday, September 16, 2013 3:24 PM
  • Has MSFT gave a reply yet? 

Having same issue on farm that was upgraded from 2007 to 2010,

new content DB's do not exhibit symptoms

anything that was upgraded from 07->10->13 is showing same warning

after mount the db that were inplaced to 2010, classic, to a classic 2013 powershell created web app, and convert, the test-spcontentdatabase still shows the warning but sites seem to work fine.

Has anyone seen otherwise?  In other words, has anyone ran into this warning situation and continued onward without experiencing any related issues?

Stacy Anothersharepointblog.blogspot.com

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 2:20 PM
  • I found that migrating the users was only part of the solution. I also had to remove orphaned users. Orphaned users who are also in the Site Collection Admins group are particularly stubborn and I ended up manually removing them via the UI. The other "issue" was that we had an AD security group in the Site Collection Administrators group. Removing that group from the SCA resulted in the disappearance of the authentication mismatch error. I would guess this is a bug and caused me much pain so I hope it helps someone else.
    Wednesday, March 09, 2016 8:01 PM
  • Has MSFT gave a reply yet? 

Having same issue on farm that was upgraded from 2007 to 2010,

new content DB's do not exhibit symptoms

anything that was upgraded from 07->10->13 is showing same warning

after mount the db that were inplaced to 2010, classic, to a classic 2013 powershell created web app, and convert, the test-spcontentdatabase still shows the warning but sites seem to work fine.

Has anyone seen otherwise?  In other words, has anyone ran into this warning situation and continued onward without experiencing any related issues?

Stacy Anothersharepointblog.blogspot.com

The steps provided by Vincent worked, just had to wait for the database to sort itself out (next day we came into work and was OK).  In a second attempt on a different database, we just waited for a few hours and the issue was gone.  The proverbial powershell cake probably had to finish baking.

Stacy Simpkins | MCSE SharePoint 2013 | anothersharepointblog.com

Wednesday, August 03, 2016 10:19 PM
  • same problem here.  if I have AD groups as site collection admins I get the warning.  Did you put them back in after migrating?  We like having ad groups for our site collections admins...!!

krd

Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:04 PM
  • krd, Yes, the AD groups can be added back to SCA after migration. Good luck! ~
    Sunday, August 27, 2017 10:31 PM